How old is the best time to start potty training my son?

He is already at that point he is starting to pull his diapers off and he is just a little over 14 months. I was thinking about 18 months is good but I want to be sure and know what other mom's would do.

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 5:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not age - it's signs of readiness. Watch for his cues. There's nothing wrong with introducing him to a potty seat and letting him get comfortable with it - but let him set the pace. My son was out of diapers at about 31 months old. My daughter was 30 months old. Every child is different though. The diaper company web sites actually have some pretty good resources - including a check-list of readiness cues. Things like: can he follow multi-step directions, can he pull pants on and off, does he indicate discomfort with messy diapers, etc.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Wait for his signs of readyness or it won't go well. You can introduce him to the potty but I think 18months is too young. My son is almost four and we just got him potty trained. Don't push him it's the worst thing you could possible do.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 5:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2008