Answers to some questions about: I need some help finding counseling........

I live in Sheridan Wyoming. I have no medical insurance. And dont really have alot of money to pay for a therapist/classes. But i can find the $ Im sure. (my parents would help out) some background on my DD: she was born with a heart condition & kidney problems both requirig surgery before the age of 2 months to correct. 9Heart 2.5 weeks old, she was aso 4 months premie) My DH & I were afraid to let anyobdy watch her until she was about 18 months old. Im afraid to talk to her ped. or my Dr. about this. I dont want her to be taken away from us. Background on me: I had her at 18. Had PPD pretty bad after she was born, but it didnt really 'hit' me until we were all done with her surgeries & settled at home. I never got medication for it, I just talked to my friends & mom alot & got through it. Ive never really felt that 'bond' with her. I also have a 7.5 month old I feel very bonded too. Not the same feeeling at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If I were you I would call around in my area, and find counselors who specialized in treating PPD or who has a lot of experience in the area (if I could afford private counseling). If I couldn't I would call the Health Department and just ask them if they could tell me where I could get free or low cost mental health counseling.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Do you go to church? If so go talk to your pastor he may be your best idea and most of the time free. Also there are other women in your church that would be of help to you.
    Also not having the same bond as you have with your younger daughter nothing bad. Your sick baby spent a lot of time in the hospital and you were not able to get that close bond with her. Also you may be mental blocking your self from bonding with her because you were afraid of loosing her. A lot of moms feel this way when they have a very sick baby and it IS NORMAL. Keep working on bonding with her and it will come. About the PPD you do NOT always need med. for it talking with friends and family is far better for you.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think you should reach out to your doctor. Depression is a serious matter as you obviously are aware and your doctor should be able to help you get therapy and if need be medication at little or no cost to you. They will not take away your children because of this. If anything they will see what a loving and responsible parent you are to seek help so that you can take care of you and therefore take better care of your children. Best of luck.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 5:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010