Justice of the Peace?

So my SO (who is the father of my 2 DSs) and I decided we wanted to get married. But we're going to be getting our own apartment in like 2-3 months and I just don't see how we can afford an actual wedding. So I said we should probably go to the JOTP and take it from there, maybe hit up the Japanese steakhouse for dinner. I know we can always do a bigger wedding later, but if it's not going to be for a year (I'm hoping for 08/24/2011) is there a way to make it nice? I just don't see how we can budget in a wedding right now. :(

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 2:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• My hubby and I got married at the courthouse. When the JP came out and asked for someone to sign something, he asked for them to do something, IDK what now, one of our dad's said to let the mom's do it, that they raised us right. One of my sisters was there, with her husband. She commented that if we were raised right, we wouldn't be getting married there. Funny, we will be married 15 years this year, and she has been divorced for many years now. We made it longer then her, and happier.
    It doesn't matter where you get married, or who marries you. It matters WHO you marry. Though the wedding at the park sounds beautiful! And having friends and family so involved sounds so lovely and personal. I bet they loved it as well! That's something you can look into. Congrats!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You don't have to spend a lot to have a nice wedding. My nephew and wife had a nice wedding on a budget, it was a casual and fun wedding. They held it in the park, she wore a cream color linen dress he wore a suit,they had a JP to officiate, her flowers and the flowers they used to decorate were fresh from the farmer's market that morning. A friend played the harp, another read a poem, and they had disposable cameras for people to use and take candid pictures with. It was one of the best weddings I have ever been to.
    For reception they had a cookout in the park and some of the family brought dishes to pass.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• We went to JP and out to a nice dinner, and fancy hotel room for the night.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 2:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The most important part IS that you two are committing to this union between you. who marries you, where, etc really doesnt matter compared to that. Dress nicely, IE dress up as much as you wish for this. my hubby wore a suite and I wore a very very pretty spring dress off the rack from Sears for our JUTP wedding. We went to Olive garden afterwards. and about a week later had a small party with our friends that was totally casual and fun. in all honesty MOST brides and grooms remember very very little of anything AFTER the ceremony. its all a blur of emotional overload. we had both sets of parents there as witnesses and kept it small and simple. and it was LOVELY and special for us. congrats on getting married!
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My husband and I eloped in Vegas. Now I want everyone to know that I still had a traditional wedding, I did not get married by Elvis or Darth Vader. lol We got married in the Little Church of the West located at the end of the strip. My mom was married there 7 years ago and she loved it. It took us 5 minuets to get married, I usually have to wait longer in a McDonald's drive thru. This was perfect for my husband and I. There was not a lot of people and we were able to have a honeymoon. IT WAS ALL ABOUT US! That is the most important thing. Have a simple wedding for just the 2 of you and your close family if you want, then have a big party afterwards. We actually waited to have our reception6 weeks after we got married. Everything worked out great, and we had time to budget and plan. Good Luck! A wedding isn't everything and most people would rather attend the after party. Do what makes you and your Fiance happy!

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010