how did you potty train your kid any acidents please tell me

i am trying to potty train my 4 year old heather

rave78

Asked by rave78 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• switched right to undies, non of that pull up stuff. . it was messy for a couple of days, but they soon got the point that being dirty isnt fun
    Kare0608

Answer by Kare0608 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I agree, Pull-Ups are a waste, you want them to feel like a big kid so big girl/boy underwear should be introduced asap. Yes, it can get messy but try to stay as consistent as you can. It took my daughter about two weeks to be fully potty trained.
    adoredby3

Answer by adoredby3 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• it took me 3 days train him, talked to him first told him that stinky(as he called it when he was learning to talk) went into the toilet, had to demonstrate on his potty (talk about awkward) hahaha but he got the oint, mind you i had to change him like 13 times the first two days, but each time he did, i left him for about 15 minutes or so, and he did not like that at all, gave him a shower, which he also didnt like, so to avoid that he started using the toilet, harsh but it worked like a charm, my cousin had her daughter trained that way before the girl could even walk
    Kare0608

Answer by Kare0608 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• For me, I waited until my child kept dry during naps and overnight. Once that happened, I knew they were ready. I brought out the potty. I let him/her sit on it. I talked about the potty like it was the best thing since sliced bread. We went to the mall and the child was able to pick out new cool panties/underwear. Then I started sitting the child on the potty intermittently throughout the day. Whenever he/she used the potty we made a huge deal out of it.. we danced and praised the child. We also gave incentive. For a pee the child got to pick between a hershey kiss or a cool character temporary tattoo. For a poop they got one of each. All of my children were trained within a week, day and night. Patience, and talking about it was huge. Treating them like they were a rockstar for using the potty was another huge part. Good luck.. itll happen. Im sure youll both do great.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 2:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Started potty training my daughter around age 2 and it was no easy task. We had accidents off and on for the next year. My boys on the other hand were much easier. They would just whiz right out the backdoor (fenced in yard of course) Sitting on the potty was reading time for the kids. Funny, now that I think about it, the ones that took longer in the bathroom are better readers.
    JenaofPCola

Answer by JenaofPCola at 2:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Underwear when they show all the readiness signs. Took him every 15 minutes to try at first, when that was routine and he was going everytime, I upped it to 30 minutes and so on. He was trained in 4 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• pull ups were such a crutch for my son while we trained him. I finally said "no more pull ups" and only underwear (for naps and bedtime, too) Yes there were some accidents, but it made the process much faster when I ditched the pull ups!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i'm working on it now with my son. he'll be 4 in November. i've tried just putting him in undies, he pee'd and sat in it for about 10 minutes before i noticed. he knows when he has to go but doesn't talk so he can't let me know, except by going into the bathroom. i try to take him to the bathroom every hour but its not always possible with my newborn thats breastfeeding!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My boys are 3.5. I waited until they were almost 3.5 to train because they just weren't ready. It worked out that one was ready to train before the other. We went right into underpants and I pretty much stuck to him like glue for the first couple of days. The first few days definitely had lots of accidents but eventually he got the idea and has been trained for several months now. I recently started with the other one and did the same thing. I used candy and stickers as a reward and that worked for us. The other thing that worked for us is checking frequently to see if they're dry and praising them for staying dry. We're still working on #2 and use pull ups at night but I'm happy to not have to buy diapers anymore! Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 5:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think the best way to potty train is to make it fun. Incentives are good - stickers, toys. I try to stay away from food incentives because that might bring issues in the future. If you have an iphone, I suggest Joy Berry's I Love Potty Training app. It includes a tracking sheet, songs about the potty, games, and an e-book. Helps kids afraid of the toilet flushing because of the non-threatening way it is presented. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-love-potty-training/id377296392?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2 I have had a positive experience with this app! Keep things upbeat and give a lot of encouragement and enthusiasm.
    bbvTrista

Answer by bbvTrista at 11:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010