i have a three year old and she is driving me crazy because she does not want to go to bed and most of all she does not want to go in HER bed. see she is only child so to her we are her friends and since she was born she has hung out with us all the time but now she is to big to sleep with us even if it just until she falls asleep so i need some advice how to make her want to sleep in her room. i have tried everything from different nightlights to a new bed! . help.

dani263

Asked by dani263 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to talk to her. Explain to her that your bed is only ' mommy and daddys' and that she has a special big girl bed. After dinner, let her play for a little bit while you clean up from dinner. Then maybe all of your family can sit down and watch a show or a short movie as a family. then give her a bath, and when is is clean....let her play in the tub for a little bit longer {like 5 mins or so} get her in her pjs and put her in HER bed. and read a story. then kiss her good night and remind her to stay in her bed. no matter how many times she gets up... keep putting her back in her bed. Do this routine EVERY NIGHT It will take a few nights for her to get the hang of it, but do NOT give in. GL
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• "How to make her want to sleep in her bed" lol...that's funny. She's not going to want sleep in her bed silly. Especially after sleeping in your for almost 3 yrs. Its something that will be learned to do with repetition. I did the same with my son : when it comes near her bedtime let her know she's a big girl and that you love her, but she now be sleeping in her own bed,cause that's what all big girls do. Let her know you will read her a book and then its time to sleep.
    Anonymous

• Lay her down and you sit next to her bed to read her a book when you are done leave her night light on, kiss her, and say good night. Nothing more and walk out. If she gets up once get her by her hand and firmly have her follow you to her bed (do not let her walk in front of you) tell her " mommy said its bedtime and lay her down" if she gets up once more get her by the hand again lay her down and walk out ***NOT a WORD*** she will fuss and cry, buyt the good thing is that she's an only child so you don't have to worry about waking up her siblings. Let her fuss and cry in her bed. You must repeat this every night and don't give up. I know it hurts cause I went through it, your husband might be the weak one (mine was lol) but you must be firm and don't give in cause then you will have her in your bed for the next 5 yrs. Good luck mom....
    Anonymous

• Get a good nighttime routine going and pray with her before leaving her room. Maybe there are some evil spirits in her room. No I'm not joking. I'm a Christian and believe in spiritual warfare and that satan wants our children to himself.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would just start a routine with her. My daughter slept with us up until last month she is 4. I told her that I will read her a book and tell her a story then we turn off the light and look at the glow in the dark stars on the ceiling and wall. She usually falls asleep in 10 min. She usually sleeps through the night. HOpe this helps
    kayleighsmom110

Answer by kayleighsmom110 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2008