So why do people freak out.......

When they find out that you are a smoker,or a drinker, or hell lets throw in there that you are bipolar.They are all one in the same for me. I don't go around telling everyone of these things unless they ask. Being bipolar is my business but once I have been friends with someone for a while I'll let them know. I have been called a crazy bitch to many times to count. Oh by the way I don't drink. Just putting it out there.

MommyInk2

Asked by MommyInk2 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Health

• They only time I see people freak out about drinking and smoking is when the woman's pregnant. I never see anyone call bipolar names and I'm sorry it happened to you. Maybe don't tell people you are because its hard to know what their reaction will be.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'm sorry you are having a hard time.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• well don't smoke around me and we will be cool...many people drink whats the big deal and bipolar many people are that too....I hate smoking but its their body who am I to judge but I hate when I have to walk by a smoker with my kids because thats the only way to go and they just puffing away!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have a problem with smokers... but in real life, not on CM. I have severe asthma, so I really have to watch the kind of places I go. Fairs, outside events, etc. set off my asthma, so I try to stay away. But I agree with the other reply- as long as the person isn't pregnant, I don't care. Your life, your body, your choices. I just use the don't ask, don't tell policy. It works well for me.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't judge - I just ask them not to drink or smoke around me.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 2:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I work in a restaurant and my manager was bipolar. Nothing wrong with it. I am sorry that u r being judged for it. It's not right.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sometimes people fear what they don't understand. I'm sorry that you have been a victim of that. Sometimes people think if someone drinks, they're an alcoholic, if they smoke, they're inconsiderate, and if they have a chemical imbalance such as bipolar, that they are psychotic. It's a shame that people don't educate themselves before making harsh judgements on people. You should feel sorry for them, because they are the ones missing out on potentially good friends, not you.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• As long as they aren't trying to smoke in my house, in my car, right next to me when I was there first, etc. We're good.

Although I have to say I get very irritated and sad to see a pregnant woman smoke or drink.

As far as being bipolar my mom and best friend are both bipolar. I would never even imagine calling them names because of it. Sorry someone did that to you.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Smoking is legal suicide. I would never choose to be friends with somone intent on killing herself.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Not being someones friend because they smoke is a little off the deep end. I smoke but not around my children, not in the car,not in the house and not around others that it offends. I have tried to quit but it's not easy, and my doc told me as of right now in my treatment the stress of trying to quit could land me in the hospital(inpatient). I want to quit and it's people like you that make me happy not to be friends with judgemental people. Hugs to you
    MommyInk2

Comment by MommyInk2 (original poster) at 7:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010