What happens if we just walk out??

DS has been in the hospital for 3 days for monitoring and right now it seems like we are in here for nothing. Haven't seen a dr today and they wont say when we can go home. What happens if you just walk out with your child?? He was getting monitored for low heart rates at night but EVERYONE here has said its not a big deal that its just his normal. What would you do? I'm gonna go nuts. He is 5 months old and so freakin board.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 2:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your boredom does not factor into this equation. it may seem tedious but how would you like it if you went home and your child had complications? track down the doctor and demand the facts of what is going on.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Tell them you want to leave now. You may have to sign a form saying you refused treatment so that if something happens after you leave the hospital is not liable.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If you want to put your child health at risk go ahead. You don't know what happens behind the doors at a hospital. There is more then one patient. They are trying to service everyone. They want to make sure your LO is okay and taking him out right now is just plan selfish.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well, if you leave AMA (against medical advice- before they release you formally) it absolves them of any liability if you go home and he gets worse, for example. Speak to a nurse again and ask for a time frame of when he will be released and why exactly he is still there. If it were me, I'd stay. Unless they are just completely inept there must be a concern or he'd be released already.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Call his pedi and put some pressure on him to give you some answers. You are paying him, he works for you!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• *plain
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't . I don't think they could do anything to you but it's your baby's health at risk here and you don't know, maybe there is something they aren't telling you at this point. Believe me they don't keep anyone in the hospital for no reason. It's the opposite, they kick people out too soon, IMO..

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• are you kidding?? you need to stay until the doctor says it is ok, this is your babies well being regardless of your boredom!

Answer by older at 2:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• They are probably waiting for the house doctor to check him out and give approval for releasal. Go to the nurses station and demand to see a doctor soon as possible. Express to them your frustration. No, I don't think you'd get into trouble for leaving but I wouldnt until I got the doctors go ahead. Sometimes it takes several days of monitoring to diagnose a problem.When the doctor finally comes in , have a list of questions ready to ask him, write them down so you don't forget.That will pass some time.Ask him what exactly they are monitoring, what exactly are they doing and what exactly is taking so long.
    Good Luck..hope your baby is okay and you guys get out of there soon. Hang in there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If u leave against medical advise DCFS will probably step in saying u r endangering the health of your child. I get u r bored but read a book or do a puzzle. This is your cilds' life we r talking about here!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010