Is this common? (about CPS)

I was talking to someone at work about my mom's neighbors son telling her stuff that goes on at the house and how my mom wanted to call CPS. The guy I was talking to said that in our county if CPS is called, no matter what, they will take the kids away! Like even if you call and say "my neighbor molested my child" they will still come and take the child away. That just doesn't seem right to me.. It's punishing the child for something that someone else did. Is this common in other areas?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• CPS has a whole process that is gone through before children are pulled from their homes. Unless there is overwhelming evidence of abuse/neglect, then they are pulled immediately.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 2:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have to suspect whoever told you that is uninformed.

If CPS is called where I live they make a visit to the home and then begin a case. There has to be very founded evidence that the child's quality of life is so poor that the only option is to remove the child from the home. They don't just go around grabbing up children like the dog catcher...
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No, that is not true! CPS has an investigation process before any child is removed from any home.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• this is not true...my mom called CPS because her friend was giving the baby medicine to knowck him out, his dad also dealed drugs and physically abused the mom..They never took that baby. The mom died so now he is finally away from all that abuse but sad a dealth had to happen. A few people called CPS on them. I think they tend to take the wrong kids...kids that are really abused die and fall through the cracks
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've personally never heard of them doing that. They have to do an investigation first to find if the accusations are substantiated or not. If there is immediate proof of the described situation then yeah, they will take them right away.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• not that I'm aware of, but I guess every county and state is different.

our county had a special team that would investigate even if it was late at night. They came to my house after my MIL had a hissy fit over me telling her to leave my house, she called saying my house was a total unfit mess. The team saw my house and laughed - It's kinda hard to fit 4 people in a trailer without some clutter. Needless to say MIL got a letter telling her not to make fraudulent claims, and we never heard from CPS again.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• from my understanding the last resort is taking the kids out of the home, depending on what is going on. they dont want to break up families, they want to fix the problem. but im sure if sexual molestation was going on the kids will leave the home but i would think they would go to a relative not "into the system" ya know?
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I was a Social Worker/Case Manager for nearly 20 years.

I have never heard of CPS taking a child simply because they were called for some reason.. There is usually a very specific reason why a child is removed from a home, and it has to be reason enough to show that the child is in some form of immediate danger. For a simple call alone, there is a process that must be followed up on, it's during that process that the choice is made in regards to how to handle the situation at hand. But like I stated before, there has to be some extreme circumstances that are immediately obvious and can be immediately shown/proven that the child is in immediate danger in order for a child to be pulled right off the bat.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• They can only take a child if there is substancial proof of danger to the child (immediate danger) CPS tries not to remove children from the home, at all costs! Tell that guys to learn more before he speaks! I ahve never had that happen, but i know alot of friend s who have
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• what state are u in her cps does as it pleases I know we deal with them they took our childen on the frist call agians us and we had to nfight for 18 months to bring home and they said we negelted them because my boys are 33 and34 pds but we foundn out that it is in there genes after we finallyb had them seen at a specialtys after 5 years bof asking old peds to do it for us so I would be ware of them
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 3:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010