My son is 18 months. How do I go thru the process of crib to toddler bed?

he is gonna be 19 months tomorrow, and he is already over 3 feet tall (37.5 inches). He climbs all over everything and I am afraif he is gonna get hurt. we moved from CT to the south, and he loves that, he has made that transition just fine. he finally has his own room (he and his 6 mo. old sister were sharing a room up until a few weeks ago). we have a new baby coming in March so I want to get him used to his toddler bed now, before the new changes.
he has a convertible that goes from crib to toddler to daybed to full size bed....so we want to go get the rails at walmart tonight for it.
how do i go about the process? thanks!

valbeasley

Asked by valbeasley at 3:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do it - just clear out his room of any hazards because for the first week or so he will just get up and explore with his new found freedom :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 3:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I just changed my son over a few months ago. I just took it down and but the bed in. He took to it easy. But I did and still put a baby gate in the door way of his room just in case (plus i have stairs near by) I bet he will like it better then his crib. best of luck.
    jdpsmom08

Answer by jdpsmom08 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just change it. Maybe get some cool big boy blankets and sheets and make sure you baby proof because he will be getting in and out on his own and curious. He may even try not to go to bed at night and get out repeatedly until he realizes what he is supposed to do.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 3:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• sounds good so far....do i have to go in and wait till he falls asleep or should i just leave him with his door closed? his room is baby proofed already, he just has his little toys on the floor.
    valbeasley

Comment by valbeasley (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would put some kind of gate across the doorway so he couldn't get out of bed and wander about at night when everyone else is sleeping.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yeah luckily he cant open the door to his room, it is closed every night anyway
    valbeasley

Comment by valbeasley (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just do it. He may not stay in his bed at first but eventually he will.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 3:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I didn't transition my older two until they were about 2.5-3ish. I waited until my oldest started climbing out and my second oldest I transitioned her at 3 because I thought it was time. It was really easy both times. They LOVED their new bedding (my DS got Spiderman and DD got Princesses). The only probably I had was that the transition beds are a little high to get into. DD is really small for her size and couldn't climb into hers without help. Just make sure to put those electrical plug protectors in and remove anything harmful out of reach. They like to wonder and check out their surroundings :)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 3:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• just go for it mommy , you may have to go back in and tell him to go to sleep more then once. However I think he will like it better with more room to move.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• For us it was an easy transition. I switched my first daughter's crib into a toddler bed when she was about 13 months old. She went to sleep just fine in it from night one. Naps weren't as easy, cause it was light out... but i would just shut her door like always, if she got up to play she would eventually find her way back to her bed... or fall asleep on the floor. LOL. Just make sure there isn't anything in his room he can get hurt on if he does decide to get out of bed. Good luck!
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 4:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010