She cries so hard she stops breathing

My daughter is 3 mo. old; and has these "fits". I always thought maybe it was gas, or just a tantrum- She cries sooooo hard, that she almost makes a gurgling sound- she turns bright red, almost purple....and she flails her arms and legs non stop...(like shes swimming) its like shes crying so hard she stops breathing momentarily...it freaks me out. After I've calmed her down; shes almost congested it sounds like, like "wet breathing" is the best i can explain it.
Does anybody have an idea what this is??? Or what i can do to help her???

sweetescape88

Asked by sweetescape88 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• When my kids cry so hard that they dont breathe I just blow lightly in their face and it makes them take a breath. A lot of people(older people) say that it takes a babies breath away if you do this, but my ped. actually recommends it in these situations. Also I would consult her ped about her behavior.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my guess...shes a baby and they cry. I used to baby sit a babysit a little girl who did that and if you blow in their face not long just a quick blow, it makes them stop and catch their breath. i wouldnt be too concerned unless she really stops breathing. She may have bad gas if she just breaks out here and there in screams. but the blow in the face will make her catch her breath. good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Oh my nephew did the same at the same age. Scared the crap out of my SIL. Her dr told her to put him upside down. Good luck w that. I've heard of toddlers do it when they get tantrums.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My son had what's known as "Breath Holding Spells". It is an involuntary thing they outgrow. Might be that. His looked like he was having a seizure.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/tc/breath-holding-spells-topic-overview

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• A quick blow in my son's face DID NOT work. He was stiff and his eyes rolled back in his head and he would start posturing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i would go to your doctor and see what he say at three moths old a child should not be acting get some test take just to be saft
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010