if you have used borax to kill fleas....

I know borax is a safer alternative when compared to other chemicals, but it is still harmful. I hear so much about borax being a great flea killer. I have carpet and would be nervous about leaving some behind after vacuuming it up. I have a cat and toddler. Any suggestions? I am anxiously awaiting a 6 month supply of Advantage in the mail and I vacuum pretty much everyday. They mostly come from outdoors. I am in south georgia and fleas love this weather. My cat is an inside cat. I don't have the money or time to spray or have a professional spray the outside property

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I make a carpet freshener with baking soda, borax, lavender and rosemary. Grind it up in my coffee grinder and give it a little sprinkle. Then I take a broom and work it in a bit, let it sit about 20 minutes and vacuum it up. The baking soda neutralizes odors as does the borax with the added benefit of the flea thing, lavender disinfects and most insects hate rosemary and it deters them! I have used this for decades. I have three kids and 2 cats and all are healthy and have survived my cleaning since day one. Borax is not as toxic as you may think and unless you are eating out of the box with a spoon, it is quite safe to clean with. Here is a little trick that works with fleas. Purchase two of the traps that use the nightlight and sticky paper. Works awesome... plant thyme and rosemary at the back door and they won't come in.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have never used borax, just the spray flea stuff that I found down the chemical isle.....

Here is a bump
    jking48444

Answer by jking48444 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've never heard of Borax killing fleas...I will defintitley have to try that out.
    Fleas or horrid fo rus this time of year too. I just treated the kittens last week with Frontline.But they are still in my house.
    Last year, I put saucers in corners of the rooms with a little bit of liquid Dawn soap squirted onto it. For some reason, these dumb fleas jump into it and die,lol.It helped, but didnt take care of the whole problem. I bought a spray to spray in the corners, I did that every day for a week on top of everything else I did and it got rid of the fleas.
    ANd here we go again...lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It would be safer to sprinkle the Borax around the perimeter of your home next to the foundation outside. A width of 2-3 inches is enough. I do this for ants. Reapply if it rains. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• thank you woodwitch! Not that i'm lazy, but sometimes i miss my son eating something off the floor, so if I treated the carpet with borax and my vacuum didnt get all of it...I'd feel so terrible if he ingested some.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You can use baby powder. It is so fine it suffocates the fleas.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• not in this house, but in the past, before baby, I have stalked fleas with flea powder. I saw it jumping around, sprinkled it directly on the damn thing, sprinkled it around the damn thing.....no success....
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• we used baking soda and sea salt on the carpets.
    left it on about 20 min or so then vacuumed it up.

we left little dishes out with water and dish detergent to "catch" fleas.

now, i don't allow ANY indoor pets.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 12:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2010