Have you ever taken a dietary supplement that you later learned was dangerous?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 3:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I hope not. I have been trying to keep away from diet pills, but I broke down and am trying slimquick.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I bought one small bottle of Calcium & Vit D supplement about a monh ago. However, just recently on the news they are saying it's not such a good idea and there are issues with taking it. These supplements may not be good for your bones as an additional means to drinking milk or eating other dairy products. I'm not sure now.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• no, i take vitamins and vitamin c supplements and that's it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Mocha- You should NEVER take what the local news has to say as intelligent, accurate information.

BTW- it takes MORE calcium than is IN the milk, to process the protein from it. You do not actually get calcium from milk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think to a point all of them are bad in the wrong hands. Just because you might need more vit C doesn't mean you should take such a high dose. it just depends on the person. I took some stuff that messed me up pretty bad for a few days once and have learned from that mistake and follow dose advice very careful now.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• A lot of them can be dangerous. People think because they are sold over the counter they are harmless and that is not always true.. Several herbs etc can not be taken with certain foods or medications due to a reaction. You really have to research what you are taking and talk with the pharmacist to make sure you can take them with the other meds you are on.. I am referring to things like St John's wart etc.. not the multi vitamin you take daily.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No, because I'm a deeply cynical person.

I just don't buy the claims. I read the science behind them, if there is any, and notice that the claims are flimsy and almost all refuted by the small print.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I research everything that we put in or on our bodies.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i used to take hydroxycut ALOT. this was pre husband, pre kids. i remember going to a pap, and they ended up sending me to get an ultrasound of my breasts. turns out i had fibrious breasts. it wasn't until later that i linked the amount of caffeine in the pills to that particular situation. they gave me the shakes too! 3 pills, 3x a day.....wth was i thinking.....i did lose some weight tho!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010