Which chemicals and other ingredients do you avoid in skin and hair care products?

And who do you trust to give unbiased information about the safety of beauty products?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 3:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• You can get unbiased information here: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 11:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I buy a lot of stuff from Lush which is all natural.  Their website lists all the ingredients of their products.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• mineral oil, parabens, SLS, isopropyl alcohol, DEA,

All information out there is biased. You need to do your own research & compare multiple sources until you find information that you are comfortable with.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't think ammonia should be in any hair coloring product, which in sme I've seen it especially some of the permanent hair coloring formulas.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sulfates. That's about the only thing I know about. I'm using sulfate free shampoo.
    kimsardo

Answer by kimsardo at 9:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• "I don't think ammonia should be in any hair coloring product, which in sme I've seen it especially some of the permanent hair coloring formulas. "

ammonia is a common chemical used because you need something that can open your culticle and swell it to allow for the color pigments to enter into the cortex of your hair. That something is typically ammonia because it's a higher pH than your natural hair..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I stay away from brands for certain reasons:

example: I'm really selective about baby shampoos because some contain numbing solutions for their "baby free" that is actually more harmful to their eyes than the shampoos themselves..

I'm really selective about my conditioners.. I want something with GOOD healthy options (like protein/keratin, etc).. not cover up solutions like paraffin..

things like that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Petrochemicals (mineral oil, etc.), parabens, sodium lauryl or laureth sulfates, MEA, DEA, TEA, benzene, dimethicone, EDTA, phthalates, GMOs, hydrogenated oils, formaldehyde, bisphenol A, and a ton of other chemicals (honestly, there are too many to list). Like stated previously, all information out there is biased so it's important to do your own research.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I will parrot FootballMom85 and her list of ingredients. I put more trust into Environmental Working Group than other sources I've come across.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have heard that the numbing agent thing for baby shampoos is an urban legend and a misleading marketing ploy. If you know of a specific chemical that is used for this purpose and which brands it is used in, feel free to correct me.
    barefootbooks

Comment by barefootbooks (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010