my 2 yr old doesnt want anything in his sippy cup besides milk... we try to give him juice in it but he crys to the point that he vomits..

its getting hard for me to handle it...

my husband yells at our son when he crys like this, and all i try to tell him is not to yell at our son cause he gets more upset and vomits sooner... and then my husband wont speak to me for hrs...

we try regular cups too and he wont drink juice outa them either?? i cant afford a gallon of milk a day!! (i drink milk too)

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 5:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have two big milk drinkers the house - I know the cost adds up. BUT, juice is not the alternative. Juice once in small doses - fine. Juice as a primary drink? not really that great. Will he take water? You can start with watering down a cup of milk a day. Add a little more water and a little less milk each day until he'll drink a whole cup of water. Then offer him milk only at meals with water as the other option during the day.

My two will now drink 1-2 cups of milk a day. Water throughout the day and one serving of juice but not every day.
    Anonymous

• All I can say is that if he's thirsty he will drink it. He can get his "fruits" servings with fresh fruits, juice isn't necessary, and it's got alot of sugar... have you tried water?

I'd try to level with him and talk about it. Tell him that he can only have >insert amount here< of milk a day, and the rest is water or juice. Every time he gets a sippy tell him how many he has left of milk, how many of juice, and how many of water, etc. And let him choose. Make him aware that he can either SAVE the milk for dinner, etc, or drink it all now and have no more later.

If push comes to shove, you may just have to give him the water and ignore him. He's not going to starve himself. He's learned that crying gets him what he wants. It may be a stubborn few days, but he'll get the point.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 5:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My 1 y/o DD drinks a gallon of milk a day by her self I know what your going through. She will drink water though. I would only give him milk with meals and if he gets thirsty enough he will drink what you give him.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 6:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I second trying the above.

Also, you need to talk to the hubby BEFORE this happens (or after--and after he's settled down)...him yelling isn't helping...and he needs to realize this.

The big thing to remember is that you are the parent. He can't pour his own sippy cup yet. Crying til he pukes is something that he has figured out how to do to get what he wants...you are letting him control you. If you want to him to do something (or not do something), you have to be consistent.

Nutritionally, he only needs 16-24 oz of milk and no more than 4-6 oz of juice a day...anything else he drinks should be water (and he doesn't NEED juice--it really has no nutritive value)

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• just a thought here... why not dilute the milk.? we do that w/our son. we don't want him to drink juice, the sugar and all... before he goes to bed and when he wakes up he gets 100% milk. all throughout the day he gets 50/50. i figure the water's definitely better than the fruit juice. anyway, let me know if anything works!
    kellweaver

Answer by kellweaver at 7:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008