Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I give custody of my son to my sister in case my husband and I died?

I am trying to find some sample letter or template that i can put together giving my sister custody of my son in case my husband and I died. We are going on a trip for a week out of the country away from my son for the first time and we want to be responsible and put together an emergency plan in a worse case scenario. Can anyone help me?
Thanks a bunch!

Answer Question

Asked by dantolini21 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • make a will and put it in there

    Answer by britme1027 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • Make a will.

    Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • I'm pretty sure the only way you can legally do that is to have a will made.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • I agree. Put it in your Will.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • Write a will and have it Notarized or see an attorney who can write up legal papers.

    Answer by gertie41 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • Best thing to do is make a will out. If it is not legal she might not get the child.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • I agree. I work for a estate planning lawyer. Find one and go make a will. It shouldn't cost much or take too long to have it done. My lawyer is also a Notary.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • You need to go through a lawyer and make a will...Also you need to give your sister a power of attorney in case your son needs treatment or something while you're gone, a lawyer will help you. Both you and your husband need to be present when making the will.

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • You can download, print, fill out, and have notarized the documents necessary. You do not need a lawyer, etc. There are couple of websites that have them available for you, and give insights into state laws... Just google it.

    I had to change my Medical Power of Attorney last week, after I realized that by default my parents would be asked to make decisions in event of an accident, and my SO would not be permitted in the ER or anywhere else without this document, and since HE is the one I want making those decisions for me, I gave him my power of attorney.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

  • Will

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.