How many of you heard that a 13 story mosque is going to be built 600 ft fom ground zero?

I thought it was just people stirring controversy...but nope. It's true. The NY city council approved it, even with loud protests. An the group building it wants to open it on SEPTEMBER 11TH 2011 !!! What a slap in the face!

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 4:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You do realize there is already a Mosque two blocks from ground zero and has been there for years and years. And that many Muslims were killed during 9/11 and that it was a terrorist group, Al Qaida, that bombed the twin towers, which is a totally different group.
    But, if you want to punish some members of a religion then I think all members of all religions who have done something bad should be punished.
    How about Timothy McVeigh who bombed the building in Oklahoma. He was Christian so should we not allow Christian churches to be built anywhere near that site?
    How about Hitler, he was a Christian, how about we not allow any Christian churches be built anywhere at all... Not to mention the crusades where Christians raped and murdered thousands just because they wouldn't follow their beliefs... I could go on.

Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Having a mosque isn't a slap in the face (freedom of religion). The Imam building it, the money paying for it, and those that are ignoring that IS a slap in the face. A man who REFUSES to call Hamas a terrorist organization, a man whos father was in "the brotherhood", a man who is a MEMBER of the Perdana Organization (fyi the Perdana Organization FINANCES the Islamic terror group IHH.

That's my problem with it. It's the person behind it not the Mosque.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Really old news.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Oh well, that just shows who the NY city council is.

upholders of the first amendment?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• OMG! Its a community center! Not a mosque! just so you know,there's already a mosque in that area already. Its been there before the towers even went up. Sigh.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well, since you "can't beat city hall," I say JOIN EM!! I think entrepreneurs should open up a gay bar, a butchery, adult video store, a Bible book store, and maybe even a lingerie shop, next to, or across the street from the "community center!" Seeing as it is prime real estate and all and could generate a lot of sales tax income for the city! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Paranoia.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• GREAT idea, Crissy!! Not that I would go...but I certainly would support them!!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well, welcome to the real world. I'm glad you decided to research something you were not sure was true. Did you know there are 100 mosques in NY? Not only is to this dude going to do his best to put this mosque there he is now on a US government paid trek across the mid east to foster that lovin feeling? Sick. He's going over there to raise money from the very people who hate us. Perfect..... And all with our governments blessing.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHg9gzo9o-U

This woman says it beautifully. I've been clear how I feel about this and been called a bigot for it. Americans took a hit 9/11. ALL Americans and this should offend everyone. The building is not the issue, the location is the issue. I'm sure I'll be trashed again but this is worth it to me.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010