Would it be bad to give my DD formula when I'm not here or when my mom watches her?

I can't seem to extract enough milk to pump into a bottle so I decided to buy formula for when my mom watches her and when I go back to class my husband can feed her. Is it wrong to do that? Will it turn her off to breast milk? I really have no alternative other than to just not go anywhere without her and let's face it, I can't take her to class with me. Errr this is frustrating!

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 4:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it won't, go ahead and do it. I did it with my DS a few times hen he was BF
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's not wrong to do what you have to do. If you go that route, mix 3/4 breastmilk with 1/4Formula and gradually increase the formula. That way it's not a shock to her system. I did it and my son turned out fine.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just use the formula when you aren't around. If you nurse right before you leave the baby may not be hungry while you are gone, but keep trying to get that milk if you can.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No, its not wrong...she has to eat,right?
    When you are home, just keep trying to pump as often as you can until your milk really comes in more. Maybe with a little time,patience and persistance you won't need to supplement with formula anymore.
    Hang in there, your not doing anything bad or wrong.
    Good Luck :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I supplemented with formula for my son when I wasn't there and he was hungry. No problems.

Answer by missanc at 4:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• the thing that may be counter productive is that the bottle is so much easier to drink from, so there's a chance she wont go back.

How long is class, you can't feed her in between?For a while I was unable to pump but 4ounces a day, if that so my SO would bring my son to my job every hour and a half to two hours so I could feed him and save the pumped milk as much as possible.

Have you tried FENUGREEK..its an organic natural herb that increases milk production

and also if you give formula dn don't pump the equal amount your milk will decrease.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• bump
    summerbabe

Answer by summerbabe at 5:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If your are needing to supplement (totally understandable) then make sure you are still pumping the missed feedings even if you don't get much. Some people just don't express milk well. ANY breast milk is better than none and breast milk and formula can even be mixed in the same bottle. You did awesome by breast feeding AT ALL!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Thanks mommie
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• please dont listen to DomoniqueWS your baby will be fine with the bottle. beacuse STRESS of you worrying that she wont be fed can also decrease your milk production......just mix it like mommy JGRIMMER said and your baby will be fine .......good luck
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2010