How do I train a puppy to not go potty in my garage?

Trinitysmom1205

Asked by Trinitysmom1205 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Pets

• With my parents dog, they put him in a crate the entire time he was in the house and they would let him out at certain times so he knows he can only go outside. They did this for two weeks. It sounds cruel but it did train him to pee outside instead of inside.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Same as you would train it to not go in the house: Smack it's nose, rub nose in mess, tell it "NO, we go OUTSIDE" then put it outdoors immediately. Puppy will get the idea in a day or so.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Also, when ever it does go potty in the right area reward it, pet it tell it good dog and give it a treat.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I agree with GinTonic, but not Kassey713. Get a crate, put him in it. When you let him out, immediately take him outside and tell him to go potty and when he does tell him he's a good boy and reward him. Rubbing their nose in it really doesn't teach them anything. I have had many dogs throught my life and I have found crate training to be the best way to housebreak.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Crate training is the best way. Avoids a lot of mess on the floors, and they won't go where they sleep. Don't get one too big, because then they will have room to go. Take him out, esp. after eating abt 5-10 minutes after and always praise him. Take water up abt 2 hrs before you going down for the night. A dog cn hold its pee for amt of age it is plus 1 month. 8months plus 1 = 9 hrs. There are a lot of internet sights to help also, that's what helped me a lot.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Rubbing their nose in it really doesn't teach them anything.

LOL Yeah they don't think poop is gross like we do. They eat it for crying out loud! lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• OP, NEVER, EVER hit, smack, scream at or rub your dog's nose in its poop. That is a barbaric, disgusting, fucked up way of training your dog. And saying NO we go outside is, to them, like the teacher from the peanuts cartoon. All they hear is blah blah blah blah blah...in a loud, scary voice.

Consistency is the key to training your dog. Take the dog outside every hour or so. Stay outside until the dog has done its stuff. Then, praise the dog, loudly, good dog, good boy, whatever you want. Keep this up and within a week the dog will be trained.

Kassey, for the love of all that is human I hope you don't have dogs (or kids) because you sound a little unstable.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010