Yes, another Breast feeding question....

ok, so breast feeding is going better, I found a groove....kinda, almost there! Anyway, my baby who is 8 days old and who weighs about 6#7 oz is eating 4 ounces every 3 hours, this is kind of a lot isn't it? So that got me thinking, is my breast milk satisfying enough, hearty enough, sticking with her? I DO NOT eat ANY fruits or vegetables (save the lecture on this by the way, I haven't for 32 years and it's not gonna change because anyone tells me it's healthy and I should, duh, I already know all that) so that had me thinking, how is SHE getting what she needs? I do take my pre-natals still and I also take Juice Plus everyday but I just don't know if that's enough.
As a side note, I actually tasted my breast milk and it tasted like water, no real taste to it at all, is that normal?

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOUR milk is for YOUR baby, nothing can compare. Regardless of diet, your body will provider her with what she needs.

Breast milk is completely digested in 2-3 hours, unlike formula, which is why BF babies eat more frequently. BM is not supposed to "stick with her". It is unhealthy for her to consume things that do, which means they are slowing her digestion.
    Brest milk can taste like ANY number of things, and "foremilk" which is what she gets when she first begins a feeding, is thirst quenching, and watery- hind milk is not.

As long as she is wetting, and having regular BMs, she's absolutely fine, and you shouldn't do anything differently- except feed on demand. Sounds like you're doing the best possible thing ANY mother can.

Breast milk is ALWAYS better than formula, regardless of your diet. Just remember to stay hydrated!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• 1. How do you know how many ounces she is eating .... My dr. wanted to know ounces and i told him i was no measuring cup! LOL
    2. Is she acting satisfied? Or crying screaming & acting like a starved child? No.. then she is doing good momma! :)
    3. (Ive said this 2x today).. There are woman in other countries that live off of little rice & dirty water & their breastmilk is just fine for their baby!! Sure the healthier you eat the better.. But breast is 99% of the time better than the alternative!

I know u said No food lectures. But you can slip veggies into food without knowing..You dont have to eat them raw :) Ill leave it at that! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• She's getting enough believe me, don't worry about it mama, she's fine.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Anyway, lol, Your baby is going to get the nutrients he needs thru your breastmilk, you will just have less if you aren't eating a healthy diet. Some pediatricians recommend Tri-Vi-Sol by Enfamil, it's a multi-Vitamin for babies. Ask your Pedia about it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It usually taste a little sweet, As far as the no fruit or veggies...as long as you are taking you vitamins she should be fine. REally no fruit or veggies AT ALL? lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Breastmilk is easily digestible and babies have to eat often. Breastfed babies should eat on demand, particularly in the first two months when you are establishing your supply.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• On another note, I have to add that exclusively pumping will eventually lead to a diminished supply....take it from someone who had to exclusively pump for 6 months! (baby was in the NICU and required supplementation at home)

I strongly recommend getting baby to breast. Have you tried a nipple shield?
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It is not true that you need to ear healthy to make a good supply or "good" milk.
    from THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003, pg. 436: "Research from developing countries and other parts of the world indicates that even mothers who are mildly malnourished produce an adequate supply of good quality milk for their babies and only under famine or near famine conditions will a mother's nutrition affect her milk supply or the composition of her milk."

The composition of human milk is very similar all over the world, even comparing wealthy and impoverished women.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• How do you know how many ounces he eats?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well she should get all she needs but you will pay because she will take nutrients from you. The healthier you eat the better you will feel and being a tired mommy you need all that energy you can get. I was kinda bad with veggi but always ate alot of fruit. I love salads so thats what I ate alot when BF'ing...Now we eat clean so we eat lost of veggi...
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010