Having trouble talking about birds & bees with my 9 year old

My daughter is 9, and she's very "young" for her age, emotionally. She has never asked me about puberty, sex, etc. but I feel that at this age, I need to bring up at least the subject of puberty with her. The problem is I am terribly embarrassed. Logically, I know there's nothing to be ashamed of, but I was raised in a household where this stuff was NOT discussed, EVER. My own mom never even discussed periods with me, leaving me confused and unprepared. It was awful, and I don't want to make the same mistake w/ my child, but I can't seem to overcome this sense of shame and humiliation about it. Obviously the way my parents acted about this stuff has left me rather wounded. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Now days you have a few options :)
    1. Give her a book- If her bday is soon give it to her as a present & give it to her in private you can even write her a note. or tell her Your getting older & may start having some questions. I hope you know my door is always open, but here is a book to teach you a few things about what it is to become a young lady!
    2. Im sure you can find shows/movies with the general theme & could ask her during the movie if she had any questions..
    3. Look for some websites for young girls & recommend it to her..

But just do it, it doesnt matter how it gets done, do it for her! The talk is not about you (im saying this in a nice way!) its about your precious girl! :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Go to the library with her and find a book appropriate for her age to read, and tell her if she has any questions to ask.

Answer by older at 5:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just do it. I don't come from the most open family either (my mom asked me when I was 15 if I had any questions - by then I had pretty much figured it out!), but my 8 year old daughter was asking questions. Books are good, but you don't want her to be embarrassed to ask questions - she will pick up on your attitude and learn that it's "wrong" to talk about sex. Know that you are doing what is best for your daughter, take a deep breath, and just talk.

Answer by missanc at 5:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i agree, find a good book to help you bring up the topic... and you don't have to go all in depth... keep it basic at first, let that sink in and see if she has any questions and then bring up the topic again some other time... keep the conversations short so that neither of you get too embarrassed
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yeah i would just go to the library like older said with an age appropriate for her & ask her if has any ?s that you would answer
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010