What chores??

At what age did you assign chores an what was the chores??

mUstBdeStiny08

Asked by mUstBdeStiny08 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think 2 yrs old is good for them to start picking up their own toys and then as they get older and learn to do things
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My 2 yo has chores. She just thinks that it is a game at this point but picking up toys, and putting her laundry in the basket, and she puts away her clothes with supervision. She also helps sort the laundry and then puts it back into the baskets for me. I don't know how old your child is but they are never to young to learn independence and that the world does not revolve around them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Right now my dd is 8 and she has to make her bed keep her room clean put away the dishes, feed the dog, putting away her clothes. She has been picking up her toys for a while now several years
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't have any kids but I would work it like my mom had. From the time we knew how to take the toys out of the box she worked to teach us to put them back. By having us pick up the toy and walking it over to the box with us and showing that it goes back in. From two on up we were expected to pick up our own toys. When I tuned five I started to help with laundry by helping her carry my clothes to the washer and then helping her fold them and put them away. She had turned it into a game and kept it fun and rewarding. When I turned 7 she taught me to clear off the table when I was done eating and 8 to do the dishes (she helped) when I turned ten she taught me to vacuum and clean the bathroom. 12 the washer and dryer and by then I had chores
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• We didn't start chores until my kids were 4, 6, and 8 - when my ex and I separated because he felt like kids shouldn't have chores. They were required to put their clothes away, clean their rooms, vacuum and dust their rooms, and set the table. Now they are 8, 10, and 12 and they also do laundry, sweep the kitchen one/two nights/week, clean their bathrooms (the vanity and toilet, I still do the tubs), take out the trash, and vacuum one other room of my choice each week.

Answer by missanc at 5:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• What about washing dishes?? What age for that??
    mUstBdeStiny08

Comment by mUstBdeStiny08 (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my 2 yr old helps put things in the dish washer but I think that's more like a 7-8 age kind of thing
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• For dishes I would think when they can stand on a step stool without your worrying about them falling off (if they can't reach the sink) and when they can safely handle soapy glass dishes without breaking them (yes anyone can break glass but you know what I mean). Before that though like age three or four they can stand beside you and help you dry and put away certain items like Tupperware and other items.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• That's just my opinion though.
    Gnomeofmyheart

• i'd say 5 or 6 is prob old enough to load a dishwasher... my 1 year old niece puts her own dishes in the dishwasher (with mom's help of course) its good to teach them responsibility as young as possible IMO
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010