Is it normal that my 23 month old doesn't listen?

He undertands everything we say, but over half the time just chooses to ignore us.

prettypaper

Asked by prettypaper at 5:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ayvah is like that. i say she has very selective hearing. lol.
    mommy2b0805

Answer by mommy2b0805 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Children have to be taught to listen to, obey and respect their parents. It should have started at about the age of 8 months or whenever your child started crawling and getting into things you didn't want bothered. It's not too late to start, but you will have some catching up to do. You should tell him no once, and then you should make certain that your no is obeyed. We spanked and it worked. Our children all turned out to be model citizens with not an abuser in the bunch. They minded us, were respectful of us and others, and we never had to worry about them getting into things they weren't supposed to. I never moved treasured objects and never childproofed my cabinets. Just telling them no was all that was ever necessary because they knew there would be consequences if they did not obey.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• frustratedyes. it can drive you mad!!!

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes. However it doesn't change at 4, 8, 9, 12, or 17 either. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yea my son is almost 22 months and sometimes he listens and sometimes he doesn't. I wonder if he fully understands what I'm saying and just chooses to ignore it. lol. If I say pick up that book, he gets it. If I say don't stand on that, he doesn't wanna listen.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes normal for this household of 1 who will not listen no matter what he gets taken away, thrown away, time outs no treats.. I am dreading what the 3's will bring, I hear they are harder... if that is humanly possibly that is.. ugh.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2010