How many weeks pregnant can a baby survive if born??

I am 21 and 1/2 weeks along and for the life of me I can't remember how far along you have to be if you happen to have the baby early that he/she has a really good chance at survival.
I am not having probs but I like to keep these thoughts in my head just to reassure myself that if something did happen then the baby would more than likely be ok..Yes I know I am weird..LOL
Help me out here this is my third baby,you would think i would know this stuff by heart by now... is it 23 weeks or 25? Or something else entirely??

tiredmomfor2

Asked by tiredmomfor2 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• To have a really good chance of survival? Sometime after 28 weeks.
    A baby can survive if born after 24 weeks, but the chances are small, and major complications normally arise during that time.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would say 32 weeks. Is optimal. But, it can be ok before, like 26 weeks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• That depends on alot of factors. There's no magic number of weeks for survival. Over 30 would have the best survival rate,but there have been those who were tinier and lived.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'm not sure either. I have heard of many babies being born at 24 weeks, but none survived. I don't think you are ever in the clear until full term.
    Saphie

Answer by Saphie at 5:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think the youngest ever was 21 or 22 weeks, but that isn't the norm. Typically around 24 weeks they have a pretty good shot these days... but only about 50/50. At 27 weeks almost all babies survive and do well.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• 34 weeks and the dr's are very confident.
    i had a 32 week old...he stayed in the nicu for 26 days. there were no major complications, and nothing lasting either.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Thanks i was just curious...I know I sound weird but I just like to keep it in my head. i lost one right before this one and it is always in my head that i could loose this one. But once you get to a certain week I like to think I can tell myself that this little one could survive..KWIM??
    tiredmomfor2

Comment by tiredmomfor2 (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i just read that at 27 weeks the drs will do everything possible to get the baby to survive
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Josie Duggar was born at 25 weeks and is doing great now though she did have problems. The Doctors told me that they pray everyone can make it past 36 weeks, if not then 32 weeks but definately not before the third trimester which is 28 weeks.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 5:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I was told that viability is 24 weeks gestation. That's the point where your baby stands a chance to survive if born. THere's a girl in one of my groups that had her baby at 24 weeks about 2 years ago, he's doing well!
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 6:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010