Anyone else have a young parent? And have a rough time with them?

my mom is 34
I'll be 19 in a month
my son is 9months

How is your relationship? Mine with her is more like aunt and niece. I don't look at her as a motherly figure at all, never have because she didn't really act like one. Don't get me wrong she disciplined and got tough, and what not, but once I realized she had no idea what she was doing, around 12 or so, I just lost that mother daughter respect for her and now It shows more and more.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 5:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• I do my mom is 40 and I'm 22 her oldest child is 26.
    Our relationship sucks and is out the window. She tried to be more of a friend to me when I needed a mom growing up. I dont see my mother as a mom figure either. She didnt raise me and wasn't there for me when I really needed her. Its hard to respect someone when they arent being who they should to you, like a parent. The only real mother figure I have is my grandma,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I am 38 my mom and dad are both 53. I remember their 21st birthdays I was in first grade. I was always embarrassed and in school would tell my friends my grandmother was my mom. When I was born my mom was 15, my grandma was 31, my great grandma was 47, my great great grandmother was 63, my great great great grandmother was 81 and my great great great great grandmother was 96. We have a picture of all of us together my great great great great grandmother died three weeks after I was born. My mom, grandma and great grandmother were so proud of me for waiting until 30 to have my first child. I was the first out of all of them to be married when I got pregnant and to not ever live in poverty in my adult life. I am not sure why I was different than them but thank God I was. I am close to my grandma and my mom now but growing up I despised them. My great grandma passed away a couple years ago.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My mom had me on her 15th birthday. It wasn't so bad for me though.My grandparents pretty much raised me until I was about 5 and then my mom and I moved in with my step dad who she ended up marrying and having other children with. I would say though, the most irritating times with my mom was when I was about 20 and she was 35.She went through some kind of midlife crisis or something and went totall buck wild,lol. We did not get along for a long time because of that. Theres a lot more to the story but in the end, we get along pretty well now. I'm 33, she's 48.Theres not a whole lot she can tell me or mother me on..but were more like friends than mother daughter. It works for us.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My mom had me when she was 16. She is now 42 and I am 26. We have a great relationship and always have. We are like best friends not mother and daughter.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I had my 1st son when I was 17, raised him mostly by myself . My husband was in the Marines and home off & on for 4 yrs. I lived at home until he got out. I don't remember ever having any problems with him. I think with his Dad being away, and coming home and disciplining a 4 yr old who hardly knew him put a strain on their relationship esp. a discharged in a War Marine. We had 2 girls also, all pretty close, until he was abt 30 when the usual DIL came in the family and rght now I don't see much of him. It breaks my heart, but hopefully he'll grow up & see the light. He was my life while my husband was in the Marines, he really helped me be able to wait the long 4 years. I have come to resent the problems my DIL has caused, but upset that as a grown man he can't resolve them. I'll keep praying.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My mom was 19 and my dad was 21 when they had me. They were way too immature to have children. They have this attitude that it is their way or you are wrong. I no longer speak to my parents. Plus, they play favorites between all of us.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i was a young mother. I think I new how to be a friend more than a mother at the time.
    kimsardo

Answer by kimsardo at 11:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010