My Autistic daughter has melt downs everwhere we go and I feel we should not go anywhere?

Cruzaders

Asked by Cruzaders at 5:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Please don't stop taking her out! My 12 year old has autism and I have always taken him everywhere. He used to tantrum all the time when he was younger and I hauled him out of more places than I can count, but not he can sit through a church service, eat nicely at a restaurant, etc. I have so many friends who stopped taking their child out and now basically their children are shut ins because they never learned to control their behavior. It takes lots of time and patience with a child with autism, but they can be taught how to act in public!

Answer by missanc at 6:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I understand. My son used to be this way.

Are you familiar with social stories? or PECS? If...Then... statements? I don't want to go into explaining everything is you know, so if you are not familiar with them let me know and I will help you

I would read social stories to my son about how to behave in public. Then, in the car, I would use PECs again letting him know how I he was expected to behave. I would also use PECS and have an If...Then card. If he behaved as expected, Then he could get (a certain reward, could be candy, or we might go drive by a favorite bridge on the way home)

I then followed thru. I let him know that it wasn't a choice to be at the store, it was the choice as to whether or not he got his reward. It was hard. I endured a lot of rude comments. I had cards made up explaining autism and what I was trying to accomplish and when a rude comment was made, I handed the ignorant person a card.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My son is going to be 5 on Sunday and has autism. He hates leaving the house. But we do. We have a special car bag to keep him happy and a special blanket and toy bag for places we go. PECS works great. We use a turn dial timer and I show him a picture of something we may do and say OK in ten minutes we are leaving when this bell goes off it's time to go. It's gotten better. Don't give up. Good luck.
    tyra618

Answer by tyra618 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my dd used to have alot of melt downs when she was younger. that's before she knew how to communicate. we take her everywhere that we go. please don't stop taking your child out.
    puzzled216

Answer by puzzled216 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My son will be 6 next month and he has PPD-NOS. He used to have ALOT of meltdowns when we went out. We have since come up with ways to help him handle it. Most of the time, if he has something to put over his ears, he can usually self calm. If ti gets to bad, he just sits down and covers his ears. That's how I know when to pick up the pace and get out as quickly as possible.
    But, please, don't turn your son into a shut-in. He needs to learn how to deal with going out. If you stop taking him out, you will do more harm then good.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I know you feel. For a long time I it was so hard to take my son out. He was so loud and wild. He still is but I've gotten better at managing it and I'm used to it. Hang in there.
    kimsardo

Answer by kimsardo at 9:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• continue to go out, its the only way she will learn how to behavior in public, and dont be ashamed kids get emtional out in public most people don't care, and if they look its a normal reaction to see why a child is screaming or crying (Atleast for me it).
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 6:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2010