How would you handle this situation and what are the posible reasons behind it?

OK My oldest just started Kindergarten yesterday and both the two days she has come home telling me her teacher wont let her go potty. She said that she asked him and he said wait. She has come home in damp though not soaked pants. Is this even possible. The teacher yesterday did pole me aside and let me know she was having issues following directions, then today nothing though she told me she was in time out for a boy pushing her yes she has a mark. Could this just be a misunderstanding? Or some thing a little more concerning?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hmmm. seems a bit fishy to me. Maybe he isnt paying that much attention to the childrens needs and this matter should be addresses to the principle. I hope that everything works itself out:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would go talk to the principle.

Answer by louise2 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would question him about not letting her go to the bathroom. How long has she been potty trained for. She could be too busy with the new experience to go to the bathroom and she wants to blame it on someone... kids do do that!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Teachers prevent kids from going to the bathroom all the time. You need to find out what the policy is. Are kids able to go during class or only during lunch and recess? Are there specific times when they can't go like during circle time? My kindergarten teacher was a total bitch who very rarely allowed kids to go to the bathroom so kids had accidents all the time. That's pretty rare though, usually kids have accidents at that age because they're afraid to go or they're waiting till the last minute to ask and the teacher won't allow them to go in the middle of an activity.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Schools make kids wait until designated times to go to the toilet. I guess they figure they'll have kids continuously leaving to go.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yeah would go talk to the prinsiple & see what they say about it
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

She has been potty trained for three yrs. However if she is sick or pissed of she wont go. Though this time she was actually crying. She wet herself on the way home and was walking with a friend and was embarrassed. DH said she was asking the teacher some thing as she came out though he couldn't hear and she wouldn't talk to DH cause she was upset about some thing. I did just ask the teacher I am waiting for an email response right now I couldn't reach him on the phone.
    I got a response for the time out though just not the potty thing yet.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Here was the response so I understand that.

Skye's day started out great. She was attentive and listening and following directions. However, when we went to music at 10:15 and the music teacher asked her to hold hands with the friends next to her she refused to hold hands with one of the other girls, so I removed her from the line. After I talked to her about this and tried to coax her back into the music room she refused to go, so I had to bring her back to the classroom with me where she had a temper tantrum. When it was over, she walked with me to pick the kids up from music. Skye's attitude in the afternoon was completely different from the morning and listening and following directions was no longer a priority for her. While today was a better day than yesterday, her willingness to do what she is being asked to do can be a real problem for her. I hope this explains the difficulty that Skye is having.
    hot-mama86

• I would start with the teacher and find out what is going on. Kids that age are supposed to be allowed to go. She may not be able to concentrate because she has to pee. I know when I have to go REALLY bad and can't for whatever reason, all I think about is holding it in till I get to a bathroom. In 5th grade, I had this teacher that insisted you say, "may I go to the bathroom?" If you said, "Can I," instead of "May I," you had to go back to your seat for 5 minutes, then ask again. A boy in my class wet his pants. The teacher never made anyone wait again. I felt SOOO bad for him. Not all teachers are good ones. I had one in 2nd grade that would slap a kid on the back of the head if he didn't understand what she was trying to explain. My parents had words with that one! I hope it's nothing major, but I would start with the teacher and work my way up the ladder.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 6:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Talk more with the teacher-need to see what is going on and find out why he feels dd is having trouble following directions. Then after that if things dont change in a week or two after the talk then talk the principal. School just started you need to get time for adjustments esp after talking with the teacher
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 6:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010