does anyone know.......

how long i have to give my shih tzus pineapple so that they will stop eating their own poo? i started with 100% pineapple juice last wk and saw my one dog eat poo and then this wk i have given them pineapple chunks and that same dog ate some poo although she didn't eat all pieces so maybe it tasted bad and she will now stop. HOPING! i just wondered how long should i keep going to ensure she will stop. the others seem to. at least from i have noticed but i don't watch them during the night. who knows whats going on then. maybe a huge nightcap on poop eating.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Pets

• We added Adolph's Meat Tenderizer to our Labrador's food and he stopped doing that almost immediately. This was the advice of our vet. Just shake it on the food and let him eat the food.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 8:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• .(2) “She’s eating a low-quality diet” is often thrown around as an explanation for a pet dog’s coprophagy, and maybe these studies are the ultimate source of that idea. I have to admit I’m a bit obsessive about my dogs’ food, but leery though I am of most commercial diets I sincerely doubt they’re anything like what the dogs in these studies got. All the same, if your dog eats her own and other dogs’ poop, and you’re buying the 50-pound sacks of whatever chow is cheapest at your local warehouse store, food of better quality might be worth a try.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 7:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I got this info from this site: http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips.com/why-do-dogs-eat-poop.aspx. Eating Feces Can Be a Sign of Illness. Not all coprophagy is normal or harmless. Dogs who suffer from malabsorption syndromes, such as exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, sometimes eat stool, including their own.They may be trying recover the nutrients they can’t absorb in normal digestion.Some horrible nutrition studies have been done on dogs; I’ll skip the details. Let’s just say that coprophagy might develop in a dog with a history of severe nutritional deficiency

cont'd in next post
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 7:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• sorry i forgot to mention that we feed them blue buffalo and it's very expensive. she also eats paper.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If you go to Dr Fosters.com you can find some medication that you can give them so they won't eat poo. It makes it taste really awful to them (altho I couldn't tell you how it wouldn't be awful to begin with) But supposedly the stuff works very well.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:46 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have tried all the pills on the market and I still have the same problem with 2 of my dogs.I'm thinking about trying the pineapple.At least it can't hurt them.I do try to watch them so I can pick the puppy piles up as soon as they go.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010