Help about car titles

My brother sold a car to a guy he knew, but never got the title switched over. Well the guy moved away and still has the car. This guy got a bunch of tickets and my brother ended up having to pay them or he would go to court. So is there anything he can do to stop all this? He was foolish to trust this guy, but now he knows how shady the guy really is. He cant report it stolen because he gave it to the guy, and the guy paid him money. The police told that to my brother. What happens when the car needs registered again and the guy doesnt pay to do it, will my brother get fined since the title of the car is in his name?? He doesnt want this haunting him for the rest of his life. He has no idea where the car is now, and wonders if he has warrants out for himself because of anymore unpaid tickets he doesnt know about. My brother doesnt even live in that state anymore because he moved for a job offer. Any advice or help? Thanks!

Mom2Rylin

Asked by Mom2Rylin at 7:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• He will need to hire an attorney to straighten it all out. Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is no excuse ... sorry he is in this pickle.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well I also heard he could hire a repossesion company to find the car. Also the police said the only way to report it stolen is if he files in the city that the guy lives in! The problem is he doesnt have any clue where the guy ran off too.
    Mom2Rylin

Comment by Mom2Rylin (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Unless the "buyer" has a bill of sale to prove ownership, then the holder of the title is the owner.

I would report it as stolen

Answer by rkoloms at 7:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• How can he report it stolen if my brother lives in another state now? I don't know why, but the police told him he had to file a stolen report in the place that the OTHER guy lives in....makes no sense! When people steal cars, they usually go somewhere that you wouldnt find them lol. How is he supposed to know what city to file in?
    Mom2Rylin

Comment by Mom2Rylin (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010