Does your child teake melatonin to help them sleep?

If so how old are they and how often do they take it?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My Son is 4 and has severe autism. He takes Melatonin. It is all natural. It is not a hormone. It is completely safe. He takes the Gluten Free kind. He is allergic to Gluten and Casein. We get it from his DAN! DR.
    Dmajsmommy9396

Answer by Dmajsmommy9396 at 4:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My DS has ADHD and it was so hard for him to settle down at night. He would get very frustrated, and I had to have him in his own room so that he didn't get his brother stirred up. The Cr. suggested the Melatonin and it has completely changed bedtime around here! He is 8 yrs old, he takes 1mg before bed, and now he can share a room with his brother. He settles down and goes right to sleep.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I took it when I was a teen. It worked great.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 7:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My son started taking it at age 14. I wish I had known about it sooner. He has ADD and has a terrible time falling asleep. He used to lie in bed until 1:00 am some nights and then have to get up for school. Now he falls asleep 45 minutes after taking it. I give it at around 9:00 on school nights only. He finally gets a good night's sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My hubs does, not the kids. My nephews do (especially the severe ADHD guy) and he is gosh... 7 or 8 and gets a half dissoluble lozenge most nights.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My son is 6 and takes it every night...he has ADHD and wears a medicated patch on the skin throughout the day..so it's pretty necessary for him.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 7:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• wow my best friend just put her lil 3 almost 4 year old on it..he slept through the night for the firlst time in 18 months! :)
    kaleigh08

Answer by kaleigh08 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My son is 6 he takes 2 chewable 1 mg. tablets from GNC.
    He has asperger's w/ adhd tendencies, without it he is up until 11 or 12 talking to himself. lol. He stays in bed he just talks to himself.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• sometimes
    will be tonight he is almost 7 .
    Takes 1.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't believe in giving children hormones. Chamomile tea is great for helping children relax enough to sleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010