my son is almost 3 and he refuses to you the poty, any sugggestions?

ashleymae8705

Asked by ashleymae8705 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well it could be possible that he isn't ready. I say get some books and/or dvd's that are at his level to help encourage him to use it. Play it up big time with how great it is to use the potty and how uncomfortable,etc diapers are. Use the reward system. Good luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Be patient! My daughter was tying her shoes and reading before she was out of diapers.

And that whole "potty training is quicker with cloth diapers" is a big, fat myth!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• IM GOIN THRU THE SAME THING...MY SON IS 2YRS OLD..AND VERY DIFFICULT....BUT IM INCOUREGING MY SON WITH STICKERS AND CANDY..I DONT KNOW BUT THAT REALLY WORKS...TAKE HIM TO THE POTTY EVERY 15MINS...MINES JUST STARTED THIS WEEK AND TODAY HE WOKE UP RUNNING TO THE POTTTY
    jrsmommy17

Answer by jrsmommy17 at 7:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• well, im not quite sure what your routine is, or what kind of time you have, but at 3 years old, i know that you are ready to have him trained! im not a believer in child led anything!! when it's time, it's time. here is what worked for my dd:
    when it came down to the last couple of diapers, we first went to the store and i let her pick out her favorite character undies. princess undies, in our case.
    the next day, i let her put the remaining few diapers in a bag and we 'threw the out'. i really just gave them to a friend who wasn't potty training, instead of really wasting them!
    the first 3 days were the roughest.....there were alot of accidents. but i found taking her to the potty every 20 minutes (it is alot!) the first few days helped. in all, it took about 6 weeks before we were totally accident free. it got better each day. u just really need to take a few days off in the beginning to be with him to get it started!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• he knows the feelinf and will wiggle around when he has to pee and go hide in a coner when he poops, i have takin the diapers completely away and about everyother time hell use the potty, he throughs a fit and doesnt want to use it, i dont think its that he too busy playing im thinking he might me imbarrassed b/c when he does where diapers he only lets certain ppl change him...im confused?
    ashleymae8705

Comment by ashleymae8705 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sticker charts worked for mine! I also went to the dollar store and made a treasure chest for my kiddo so that if she went potty she could get a reward after she filled up the chart! good luck....if he refuses just take a break for a week and reintrudce it....this way its not a negitive thing..good luck!
    kaleigh08

Answer by kaleigh08 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• we also read books on the potty (no need to buy, them, check out the library!!). and i dont usually do rewards, but in this case, i di stickers or a couple m&ms if she did a good job! be prepared for accidents, tho, and dont get mad. just re-enforce it...say, where do u go potty? and i would also tell her elmo/princess/whatever character was on her undies doesnt like to get wet/ dirty!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• He may not be ready yet. I waited until my boys were 3 and they weren't ready so we waited until they were almost 3.5. One was ready and the other wasn't. I went right into underpants and used stickers and candy as rewards. I stuck like glue to him the first couple of days to try and catch him/encourage him. There were plenty of accidents but after a couple of days he got the hang of it. I also checked him frequently to see if he was dry and praised him for that.
    I just started with his twin about a week ago. He cried the first day for a diaper but I held firm. Stickers and candy work for him too along with lots of praise. Our next hurdle is #2 on the potty.
    Hang in there. He'll do it when he's ready.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• he might not be ready or afraid of using the potty try using the potty with he or she so they can understand that its ok
    heavenlove83

Answer by heavenlove83 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Don't rush him, he'll do it when he is ready. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010