My daughter destroys everything!

My almost 2 year old knocks over, pulls apart, breaks off, etc, everything she can get her hands on. She doesn't do it to be bad. She just does it cause she can I think. I have no idea how to make her stop. We punish her and put her in time out when it happens, but she just does it. My older daughter NEVER did anything like this. This kid even knocked over the changing table! HELP!!!! Has anyone else gone through this and how did you fix it?

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Only thing I know that fixes it is time..lots and lots of time,lol. She's typical toddler tornado.Its annying, it will drive you nuts, and just when you feel like your about to go completely insane...the sun will shine and the birds will sing...the tornado will be over and left standing there will be your little princess :)
    LOL...YOU HOPE!
    Maybe she likes to see how things work? How they are made from the inside out.She's experimenting with gravity..she's a little scientist in the making :)
    Hang in there..it doesnt last forever. In the meantime...glue everything of value to the ceiling,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• what I did with my son was change the way I talk to him. Instead of "no, don't touch that" I told him to be gentle with it. That seemed to help out a lot. I know it sounds silly bit just changing that really helped out.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 8:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The phrase you're looking for is 'child-proof'. The fact that your first didn't something or other is fascinating, but clearly nothing at all to do with this child. You are faced with this child today. Deal with this child today.

You can, if you'd like, keep trying to control and keep things the way they are now: control failure, broken stuff... control failure, broken stuff.

Or, you could look around, say 'wow, this is silly' and do something at least slightly less predictable, and any less frustrating...

I would recommend Alfie Kohn's 'Unconditional Parenting' for an overview at this point --early enough to avoid all the really bad parts of control when it comes to kids like this, and perhaps a different direction completely.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• hee hee! i just called my 2 yo boy the destroyer!!! he is crazy!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• havent gone thru it like that, but my dd can be destructive! i would put everything that u dont want broken way far out of reach, for awhile. give her few toys as possible. maybe a couple dolls, balls, etc. things that you wouldnt mind being hurt. trust me when i say get washable crayon, marker, etc. it ca be a sanity saver. next, when she does do something destructive, instead of sending her to time out first, go down to her level and talk to her. ask her why she did it. and also take note at what times she is being destructive--does she need a nap? is she feeling jealous of her siblings? is she hungry? maybe that will help to get to the root of the problem.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Oh plz let me know if you find a solution, mine does the same thing!! She's clumy too.... some some of it is an accident. shes lucky shes cute
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think my son thinks its funny to NOT listen.. I don't know how to get him to listen.. truly.. hes turning 3 soon and well, he's JUST like his father ( whom I love with all my heart but....) they both push buttons well beyond when most people would STOP.... ugh.. I feel grey
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yea my son is like that too. When I went to my parents he was good though. He has destroyed an xbox360 and some computer mouses. Just gotta keep everything out of reach. which is hard to do.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Remove your breakables to a safe location and don't leave her unsupervised. Ever. Babies and toddlers do not have impulse control. They are little scientists on a rampage. This is quite healthy and normal. They do not have a concept of "breaking", they only know that something exciting happens when they pull or push things. Timeouts are useless for this behavior. When you have an active,highly inquisitive baby the only thing that works is supervision.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

***

The problem is it isn't the little things she is breaking. SHe is getle with books and toys LOL I got home from work yester day and because she can flip her bed over she was jumping on the bottom and the frame is bending and she was knocking over the changing table so we had to get rid of that. She has pulled the closet doors off her track, I am usually at work when it happens but I really don't think she associates anything bad cause she will be playing and laughing with her sister when she does it. This is more that mere child-proofing. And I pointed out that my older child didnt do it so people wound't ask me what I did with her. She did the little breaking of toys and what not. Its (cont)
    MooNFaeRie30

Comment by MooNFaeRie30 (original poster) at 5:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2010