• In the Spotlight:

How can I start giving my 9 month old water drink?

Hi gorgeous gals.....I am having difficulties introducing my 9month old to drink water. I have tried giving it to him in a cup/sippie cut and bottle with teat....any ideas/tricks :)

thanks Christine

MommyBear335

Asked by MommyBear335 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try watering down some juice - that is a good start. It still tastes good and he will get the water he needs.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I gave it to my son in a bottle. he did like it at first but eventually drank it.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 8:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• will he sip it from a straw? or take a drink from your cup?
    most kids love something if its YOURS! haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You have to be careful giving babies water. Talk to your pediatrician about how much he can have. Until he's a year his main source of hydration/nutrition needs to come from breastmilk/formula.

That said, you can certainly fill a sippy cup with a couple of ounces of water and put them in with his toys for him to play/practice/experiment with. It'll help him learn to use a sippy cup as well as get accustomed to the taste of water.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Go direct to a cup or a cup with a straw. Sippies are not good for long term and have to be tipped. Straw cups won't harm the teeth or interfere with jaw development and they don't have to be tipped.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just offer it in a sippy at mealtime. If he drinks it, great, if not, that's ok too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just know that your baby doesnt NEED any water. My Pediatrician told me at my sons 18 month check up that he still didnt need water. (Dont know how that possible...probably gets enough from food and stuff.)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Babies should have water with their meals. If they won't drink it usually they like it if you drip it in their mouth from a straw. Breastfed babies usually don't need water at other times. Don't know about artificial fed babies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• What for?

Fully breastfed babies have no need of it, babies on full-mixed diets can have watery foods (like soup and fresh fruit) and formula shouldn't be diluted.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Try just giving your baby a sippy cup with a couple ounces of water and letting him play with the cup. Also, try letting him drink out of your glass. My DD is 6 months old, and will drink a couple sips of water out of my glass with no problems. Like other mamas pointed out, babies don't really need water though. I give my DD a sippy cup with water in it just so she can practice with a sippy cup.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010