Things to do instead of watch TV or be on internet?

My family spends too much time doing these things. Well mostly me. My son is 2 though and if the TV is on, no matter it's on he will just stare at it. So I try to keep it off. But I'm trying to be almost completely TV and internet free but I need ideas to fill the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Entertainment

• google the city you live in and then the word parks, it should pull up a city website of parks and recreational activities to do around your town. I know its hot out right now, but if you have a lawn, or a pool just get up and go out and play. I know motivation can be hard to come by sometimes, but your family will appriciate the time spent out side, and once you're out there you'll feel better too.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Play board games (simple toddler ones), read to him, listen to radio, each him to color and then color with him
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 8:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Read! Books are a wonderful way to break away from the tv habit. I rarely even turn the tv on anymore. There are so many wonderful books to read (I read mostly mystery) that you are depriving yourself of imagination. Read to your son and read to yourself. You can take a book with you anywhere. It is the best pastime I can think of! My dh reads a lot too, so we're well suited for that. We started reading to our dd when she was an infant and she could read by the time started kindergarten and when she was in third grade, she had read every book in her elementary school's library! Give your son a lifetime gift - a love of reading!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• With your son....
    color, puzzles, letter/number games, building with blocks/.legos, playing toys, read a book

alone....
    Sudoku, trivia games, read a book, jigsaw puzzle, masturbate (lmao...ran out of ideas)
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I read a lot
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 8:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• read, cooking/ baking, playing games, planting a garden
    Val3073

Answer by Val3073 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We turned off the TV for 2 or 3 hours this morning. My son took his toys, storage bins, and little table, lined them up and made himself a truck. Then he pretended to drive it.

I finally organized our laundry "room" shelves.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• cook something yummy!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I agree with play games, read, bake, write
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 4:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Read, read, read! I know a toddler's attention span isn't such that you can just sit around and read to him all day, but make sure you read to him a lot. As for other activities to do with him, find a playground that has equipment for toddlers and let him expend lots of energy. Dance with him, sing with him, build with Duplo blocks, let him explore with playdough. You might also look into joining a cooperative preschool; at age 2 coops run through your local community college or a church won't be a drop off situation, but rather one in which parents interact with children. While you're cooking, give him pots and pans and a large wooden spoon to drum on or let him play with measuring spoons, cups, your tupperware lids...and talk to him while doing your everyday chores and explain what you're doing. "Mommy's making dinner. Mmm...we're having spaghetti tonight. See, I'm chopping up garlic..." Just keep interacting with him!
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 6:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2010