Who has tried a Neti Pot?

I am thinking about buying one- for those of you that have tried one let me know what you thought. Also can you use regular salt (can you buy it at the grocery store?) also has it helped health wise? I ALWAYS get sick (respiratory) and I have horrible allergies! Let me know what you think of it! Thanks momma's!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 8:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Health

• I recommend it! It is kind of weird to use at first, but it really flushes out the allergens and mucous and all that stuff. I suppose you can make your own saline. You might even be able to do the same thing with those little bottles of Nasal Saline - just tilt your head and squeeze!
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 8:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The Neti Pot works wonders. I will tell you that it is hard to get used to because it feels funny at first but when you start feeling all of the relief it gives you, it is worth it. I highly recommend them.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think it depends...if your sinuses stay swollen all the time I wouldn't get one. That's why I couldn't use it. The water got trapped in my sinuses and gave me a terrible HA. And I either had water slowly trickling out of my nose or down the back of my throat for severals hours after...
    nursesharon

Answer by nursesharon at 8:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I love my Neti pot. They get the grossest shit out of your sinus and it's not that pleasant when you first start, but you get used to it and eventually start to enjoy it. There are TONS of videos on Youtube that show you how to use it properly, I can find you some if you decide to use one.
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 8:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My brother-in-law uses one for his allergies. He really likes it.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 8:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I bought one several years ago and it was a waste of money for me. I had to have sinus surgery back in May due to how terrible my sinuses were. My ENT told me that there was a reason a Neti wouldn't work for me when he got finished with the surgery. I have no issues at all now that I've had the surgery so I haven't used it since. If you purchase one the directions will tell you what you can use and I believe it tells you how to make your own saline solution if I remember correctly.
    All of my friends use a Neti for their allergies and love them!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I recomenned it! Use warm water with it.. not to hot, but not to cold. It does feel like you are drowning at first, lol.. but you get used to it.. so refreshing. You don't need to worry about salt yet.. it comes with I swear 200 packs.... We have had ours for over a year and still haven't bought more packs...
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't use it, but my husband swears by it. He's had terrible sinus issues all his life (sinus track of a 40 year old at the age of 10) and this really helps with his sinus issues and allergies. I just can't get over the thought of pouring water up my nose so I have yet to try it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes, we have one. A little tricky at first and the sensation is a little weird but it can work wonders!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2010