do you ever fell like you're in a rut?

I feel very self conscious right now. I have gained 30 lbs in the last year due to a miscarriage that put me in a depression. I am tired all of the time and don't want to go anywhere b/c I don't want ppl to see me since I have gained all this weight. I really want to workout but feel like a big, fat loser....

nursesharon

Asked by nursesharon at 8:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• yes!!! I fell like that... for 6 years..such a miserable state to be in _ i couldn't workout because I had zero energy and no motivation and a baby that was colic and had a million issues didn't help - I had to go to a weightloss center for help, I've lost 20 but I still need to lose 20 and its been hard again.. I am sorry you are feeling this way mommy...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'm so sorry you are feeling like this. Have you told your Dr. how you are really feeling? Especially about feeling tired all the time? He might be able to help you and/or recommend a group that might help you. Just ideas...........GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes, ME! I love food. I try to diet, but i am SO HUNGRY all the time. I know how to lose weight, i just have little motivation. This helps me though.....log online EVERY day & get on some weight loss forum..look at before & after pics, read people's success stories on how they lost wieght. When i do this i think to myself "OK, these people were way worse off than i am..i know i can do this" I need that daily reminder & encouragement. Anyhow, that's my advice. Try reading something daily that can help give you the motivation you need to start. Also, start slow & easy.

We need daily reminders THAT WE CAN DO THIS! Try finding a daily encouragement, what ever it is!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• So, while you're feeling like a big fat loser, work out. And when you work out and feel like a big fat loser, keep working.

In other words: what you think doesn't have anywhere near as much to do with what you do as you'd think. Do what you value, do what you want to do, do it anyhow... let the thoughts do what the thoughts do, and stop acting like they're the smartest part of your life. Because they're not. They are, as often as not, random electrical impulses in your brain that mean nothing. Really.

Get a good multivitamin, particularly one with zinc.

Only buy good, healthy food, and then only eat what you've already bought.

Take appropriate care of your child's mother's body. Your child deserves it, even if her mother doesn't think she's worth that much. Even if you are going to argue about the definition of the word 'child' or 'mother.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It sounds like you might be depressed. I think you should see a doctor and let them know. I was depressed once, about 11 years ago, and unfortunately, it took me too long to tell my doctor. Once I finally did though, I got some meds and some amazing help, and seriously... the turn-around was amazing! I didn't need the meds for long, but even if I did??? Who cares?? I felt so much better and I know you will too! I did learn that depression is not a weakness or a stigma.. it's a chemical imbalance in your brain. Medication helps balance that out and since every single person has at least 1 issue or 2 or 3 or 20... therapy helps too. Don't resist it.. embrace it! I hope it all works out for you chica!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I hear ya...I thinking getting fit is the only answer. Lots of eating well (shopping and chopping), making time for sweating on top of keeping the house...I had to get a tread mill and just start walking. You know you will physically change and thats really what you want~to morph out of this stage of loss.

Getting fit I think is what is missing from a lot of out lives. It takes a lot of time in the day to move, stretch, make good food, enjoy it and get some work done. Have you checked out Phitter,com (funny group of people morphing through fitness).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Oh, and for the weight gain.. yes.. I get this! When I got pregnant at 17 I developed a metabolic disorder and started to gain weight rapidly. The rapid weight gain added to my depression. I was 18, a single breastfeeding mother in high school eating Lean Cuisine and Slim Fast but gaining weight, and feeling "a little bit" bad about that. I went from a non-prego 17 year old weighing 97 lbs and a size 0 to a senior in high school, 18 year old single mommy who weighed 225 and a size 16 (with leaky boobs). I GET IT! (right now.. 36 years old.. weigh around 128 and wear a size 6).
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• well, I read all of the posts so I went and ran...can't keep feeling sorry for myself and expect something to change..thanks for all the encouragement!
    nursesharon

Comment by nursesharon (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2010