what is your opinion?

my dh is going back to work and works graveyards mon-fri, sometimes sat. i've been available at my work full time (even though they only work me about 16 hours a week) what i am working is paying for my gas to get to and from work so daycare for my ds would only make it so i was practically paying to work. so i told my work that i was available to work mon-fri 10am-2pm, that way my dh who works 11pm-7am would only have to watch our 4month old for a little while. it is company policy that everyone is available open-close and work at least 1 weekend day. and since i don't fall under that anymore my boss is telling me that since i am changing my availability that she is considering it resigning. now, i'm not quiting my job. i want to work, but because of my infant son and my dh working graves, i can only work from 10-2 mon-fri. wouldn't that be grounds to be laid off as opposed to me resigning?
continued:

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• Did you tell them?

Some employers really are total jerks and just don't care. But lots are human beings who understand and are happy to be accommodating as much as they can be. Even if they can't be, you'd be leaving for an excellent reason, rather than fired or quit, and could look for a job more suitable to your situation.

Of course, if you are currently living solely on what dh makes, and 100% of your income is paying for the cost of working, you could just forgo the extra money passing through your hands and take care of your son yourself. The added bonus of that is that (at least until or unless he goes to school) you could live a schedule that maximizes your time together as a family and minimizes the amount of time anyone stays awake while there is only one adult in the building...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• lol...do u work for target? i worked with them for years and this sounds like them :) i never understood it, esp when im available full time, and they schedule me so little, and when i adjust my schedule to fit my home needs, it won't fly. first, i would try talking to HR. somthing can be worked out, for sure. second, must you work? this is what was the deciding factor after we had ds (our 2nd). i would literally be handing over my paycheck for childcare. but, if you must stay, i highly recommend talking to HR. maybe if you worked salesfloor before, they could move you to another department, like cashiering...im assuming u work in a store like target:)
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• depending what state you're in they cannot make you resign they would have to lay you off. so all in all they are trying to get out of paying you unemployement
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• continued:

all i did was change how often i can work, i never said i was quitting! my boss needs to know what i am doing asap! any ideas on what i should do? i am not resigning! do they just not want me to be able to get unemployement?
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would say laid off because you didn't exactly quit you just can't work the hours.
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 9:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• that's what i think, and i told my boss that i wasn't resigning i want to work for the company, but can only work those hours but she said that if i change my availability, they are looking at it as though i am resigning!
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would apply for unemployment, if they try to fight it, I would fight it right back...
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 9:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• it's not target, although it is corporate, but i won't disclose a name being that for now, i am still employed by the compnay. but this supposedly came from our HR department.
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Check you employee handbook....

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i did: employee handbook states:
    all employees need to be available to be schedualed 2 of 3 (retail) weekend days, fri, sat, sun and at least 2 evening shifts.

all it says about resignation is that if you choose to leave the company then you need 2 give 2 weeks notice, and that 2 no call no shows is considered resignation.

dismissal only covers misconduct or write ups.

there is nothing that covers lay offs or changing availibility.

i don't need the job, but for future reference, a lay off looks better then resigning or dismissal.
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010