Can you give me you Home Based Biz Success Story?

I'm looking everything possible to start a home-based biz but there's just way TOO much out there and most of them MLM or too expensive. I'd like to actually hear if someone out there can give me an honest answer and tell me if they are actually earning something doing a home-based biz. Job market is very ugly right now and daycare costs is out the roof. I desperately want to seek other options.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• What are you looking for in a home based business? There are several types and it all comes down to what you expect a home business should be like and what you expect to do with it. For example, are you willing to meet clients outside of your home from time to time? Or stay strictly in your home? Are you internet savvy and have facebook, twitter, and myspace accounts? Do you have a blog? If you like, I can help you sort things through and help guide you in a direction. Just message me. =)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 9:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I was thinking of starting a small one. I crochet and make gift baskets. Everyone always wants me to make something so I was thinking of starting small. Just don't know where to start.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I guess that it depends upon your definition of success.

I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, I also do career and job search coaching.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If you are passionate about what you are making and people are interested in what you do...you can make pretty good money doing it. What do you crochet? Is there a special item that most people request? Gift baskets are good too...what kind do you usually make? Any start is a good start. Since you do have an audience for your products...word of mouth is an effective and powerful form of advertising. You can also market your items throughout your community by advertising in their newsletter, or promote them as prizes for a fundraiser, or market them as great gifts for baby showers, birthdays, corporate events (Thank You gifts), Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.

First, find what you're specialty lies and choose a target market (mothers, corporate, birthdays, etc.). This can help you stay focus and organized. And when you get bigger, you can expand your inventory to reach other markets. =) I hope this helps. =)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• @AneesasMom thanks forthe advice. I'm not the OP but you still helped me out.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My daughter and I started a home based business and love it! We are not only making money, but meeting nice people and helping them. This has allowed us to spend more time with her 3 year old daughter. We set our own hours, work as much as we want to. This has been a real blessing for both of us.

Our business has no inventory! That part I love. We sell a service that is very much needed and yet very few people know about it. All we do is present information and the service sells itself. This is also a team effort, so we are not alone. Great support system! If anyone would like to take a look, go here: www.greatworkplan.com/genegodwin
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 12:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I started with Scent-Sations a few years ago and I love it. The monthly cost for my auto-ship program is low, I earn about 50% from all my sales. I started doing fundraisers with local schools/churches and have been doing great. I did invest money(by choice) in the beginning but I have since made that back. My business has grown and is still going great. My favorite thing about Scent-Sations is that there are not a lot of others around me that sell the stuff so I have limited competition.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have a home business with Arbonne. I was able to quit my job and strictly take care of my kids and work my business. It is work, however, you get rewarded well. I liked Arbonne because the products are premium and one of a kind, the products are in demand, it is consumable and although it is a 30 yr old company, it is still a ground floor opportunity. This is a growing industry and my market is anyone with skin (LOL). The startup cost is minimal. You decide when you want to give yourself a raise. I love being my own boss.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 9:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Here is a work at home tip:..... If you start a home based business.. no matter what it is.. the key to success is to market with an eNewsletter. When you start to advertise.. MOST people will NOT purchase their first time on your website. So instead of losing leads and money... simply start a newsletter (you can post the sign up box right on your website or blog) and then promote upcoming sales, product info etc.. once per week or so and you will be surprised how much your sales will go up.

I use and highly recommend GetResponse

imomnews

Answer by imomnews at 9:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Funny you asked for stories of success and got a bunch of Pitches..I began my business Last Oct with my last 120 $ in the bank literally, I listened to a friend I got to work and literally within 2 hours made my initial investment of 118.00 back, within my first 10 days I had enrolled 7 new memberships (this was literally before I KNEW ANYTHING about what I was doing) and I made over 550.00 from home. Within 6 weeks I had hit the Director mark, and 2 weeks Later Director 25 and I have been actively working since. So I went from BROKE to an easy 4 figures within 6 weeks (I HAVE THE #1 TEAM AND GREATEST SUPPORT TEAM EVER EVER EVER)...I am a FT SAHM, and I only work 20 hours Max a week.
    The company has truly truly allowed me to be proud, stand tall, believe in what I am helping all Americans with, the current and past growth within the company is Phenominal, WE have NO product or pushy sales stuff.
    I am messaging you now!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2010