Does burning sage in your house help to remove spirits?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 9:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Leave the sage as is, tied with the string in the bundle. Light the sage and let it flame for a minute or so. Extinguish the flame so the sage is smoldering and smoking. Take the smudge container and using circular clockwise movements, encircle yourself with the smoke. The Native American custom is to use a very large feather from a poultry bird, such as a turkey. Using the feather, fan the smoke all around the room going around windows and doorways. I always say a prayer as I do this asking for all negativity be released, opening up for all that is good and holy. If possible, open some windows and doors to allow the smoke to leave. You can do this for the whole room and even the whole house. Start at the most northerly room and working again, clockwise, through your home, let the smoke from the sage permeate throughout. Try and finish off the smudging process by ending up at an open door. You should have come in a full circl
    MunchkinsNanny

Answer by MunchkinsNanny at 9:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• White sage works best with positive thoughts. But turn off smoke alarm when doing it. Good Luck
    MunchkinsNanny

Answer by MunchkinsNanny at 9:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've heard some do though I am not an expert on them. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I have a spell that is suppose to work if you are interested.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I am native when I was younger my mom would light them when she felt it. She never got it from the store or anything. She would send us out to the mountain and my bro and I would climb th highest pine tree and get the branches closest to the tree. So I guess it was more pine then anything. Then they would say a prayer and it walk through the house.....
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 9:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sage helps to remove all types of energy - including some spirits/ghosts... These ladies gave you some great information... Good luck & feel free to message me if you have questions...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my mom always thought so! always thought it smelled weird (like reefer!! lol), but it put her at ease :)
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It definitely has a calming effect

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• sage is supposed to help. tell the spirit to leave as you do this. also you may want to use olive oil and holy water. make the sign of the cross at each of your door ways with the oil. sprinkle a little holy water in each room also. say a prayer and tell the spirit to go be at peace with god. be VERY careful when it comes to using spells and any kind of magic. make sure you know what you are doing. research research research. absolutely no ouiji boards!!!!!!! i belong to a paranormal group and you may be unlocking things you are not prepared for. best of luck to you.
    cassie14127

Answer by cassie14127 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Here is a banishing/protection spell I found when I started. I have used it at my Grandmas and it worked. Funny thing is she thinks witch craft is evil but asked me to perform it.

Items you will need

* large bowl of salt
    * fire proof bowl
    * 1 tablespoon powdered garlic
    * 1 tablespoon peppermint
    * 1 tablespoon ground clove
    * 1 tablespoon dried/powdered thistle
    * Handful or two of sweetgrass, sage or dried oak leaves

Casting Instructions for ' Banishment of Ghosts/cleansing/home protection'

Exorcism/Cleansing Spell for a Home

Take a large bowl of salt and sprinkle a pinch or two over the exterior doorways and windowsills of your home. Make certain you get each and every one.

Choose the room that has the strongest negative feel to it. Light a white candle. In a large fire proof bowl combine the following:

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• 1 tablespoon powdered garlic
    1 tablespoon peppermint
    1 tablespoon ground clove
    1 tablespoon dried/powdered thistle
    Handful or two of sweetgrass, sage or dried oak leaves
    Carefully light the mixture so that it smolders, giving off a aromatic smoke. Leaving the candle lit, carry the bowl in to each room and repeat the following:

In the name of the Eternal Lady and Lord
    I bid thee part.
    I consecrate and clear this space.
    Let nothing but joy linger here.

When you have done each room, return to the first, set the bowl beside the candle and wait for the remaining mixture to burn out. Take the ash outside and sprinkle it over the grass/flowerbed/etc., thereby returning it to the Mother
    hot-mama86