Child humping

I kmow a 2 year old who started huming things like when she is sitting in a shopping cart or her car seat. Did any one else's child do this? How long did it last? Is there anything to get it to stop?

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't get them to stop, without distorting their future sexuality pretty thoroughly...

You can look at what's creating the conditions... generally it's anxiety, when it takes over their world. I mean, it's fun and everything, but not all the time. It just gets dull and samey after a while... so if she's doing it all the time, there's likely something she's trying to distract from, or just anxiety (over how to behave, when she's going to get in trouble next because it comes as a very large surprise nearly all the time at this age, what's going to happen next, or when someone's going to have an argument nearby again).

Alleviate the anxiety, remove the boredom or overwhelm that needs to be distracted from, and it will slip back into the background pretty quickly.

Older kids can understand 'private' and 'do that on your own in your room, if you would', but at 2, she's way too young to get it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• you could use shame to stop her or even discipline if it bothers you, this is a pretty natural thing kids do when they realize it feels good. i would simply help them understand that masterbation is something you do at home behind closed doors by explaining it in that way.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You totally can have them stop without damaging their "sexual" identity. It is simple. You simply tell her to "be still" or "Stop bouncing around"...I tend to us "Please sit nicely"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's fairly common and typically has nothing to do with anything sexual in nature. It's more like a comforting motion such as rocking. It would not be a good idea at all to make a child feel ashamed of the action. It's a phase that will pass.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I never noticed any of my kids doing it
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 9:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Id say "sit still please" or something similar. When my DS play with his peepee I tell him "do that when your alone please. its ok to do it just only by yourself."
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 11:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010