starting table foods

Can you give my examples of the first table food i can start giving my almost 10th month old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Avocado and Banana
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• avocado, baked sweet potato, rice, cooked beans and lentils, quinoa, peeled grapes, zucchini

Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library 

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• mashed potatoes....chopped up macaroni and cheese or spaghetti.....stuffing anything that can be mushed should be fine.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• whatever you are eating! I only did table foods with my daughter from 6 months up. She always prefered to feed herself. I did a lot of fruits and veggies at first. Things like bananas, thinly sliced apples, avocados, mushed up cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and peas. Grains like toast and rice and pasta and cheerios and kix.. Shredded chicken. Yobaby yogurt and slices of cheese. I think I also served pinto beans. Basically, everything I was eating except nuts and things that were too rough to gum like steak.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• soft table food, oatmeal, cream of wheat, eggs.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 9:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• At this age, there is no real reason to offer crushed or pureed foods. That started because of the thousands of babies suffering from malnutrition because of very poor formula, and was only done so babies who still thrust their tongues reflexively (an inborn instinct to stop them from choking on foods that should not be in their mouths at all) could get any nutrition at all.

At 10 months, your munchkin can manage foods in pretty much the way they come: whole peas, cooked carrot sticks, cooked meats, apple slices, banana pieces, some of whatever you're eating... unless it has dairy or citrus fruits or something else that is in your meal that babies shouldn't have under a year (honey's way up on that list --cooked or not, it contains botulism spores and small babies and old folks can't survive it, although healthy people in the middle can).

Nowhere else in the world has 'baby' food. Just food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Look up the book Baby Led Weaning as it has some great tips on never giving purees and going right to table food. Mine didn't get anything but breast milk until around 9-10 months old when they went right to eating what we had for dinner (minus the major allergens and no-nos for under 1 year of course).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• try something light and stick to that same food for a week to make sure he or she wont have a reaction to it.
    heavenlove83

Answer by heavenlove83 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:32 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• pretty much anything i eat.. i give to her.
    mandaa0986

Answer by mandaa0986 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2010