my hair turned red!!!!

my hair is naturally a mousy brown. for years i get highlights and it looks nice but ive had so many it was starting to look like a blond dye job with dark roots so i dyed it myself with garnier dark blond so it would all match and be one color. so far so good. then about a week later (because my hair is poker straight and very thin) i decided to get a body perm at a local salon. i havent had a perm in nearly 20 years. its finally looking nice with some body to it. but now 24 hours later the color is starting to turn red. were at strawberry blonde right now. it just doesnt look good on me. do i dye it again? is it too soon after a perm to dye it? i dont want to fry my hair. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• JMO, but when can you wash it? Maybe after you wash it once or twice the red will fade. Otherwise, call back the salon where you got the perm!
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• oh no!! i would call the person who permed your hair and explain everything you have done thus far and see what they recommend... i personally would not do anything further myself if i were you without the go ahead from the person who did your hair
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 9:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Go to a professional, but do not try to dye it yourself at home. You can really damage your hair after so many chemicals and while red may not be your color of choice, it's a lot more natural looking than say green - or worse yet, making your hair fall out. Also, something you can try to lighten it is vinegar. My mom used to do that to my hair in the summer (also naturally mousey) and it made it a nice blonde.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• lol, you must have missed my story the other day about what happened to a client of mine who used box color and got perms..

anyways.. you'll have to wait a minimum of 48 hours from the time you got the perm for obvious reasons (you can't shampoo after a perm for 48 hours)..

typically I'd wait about 3-4 days.. but seek a stylist for assistance. Box color can NOT predict results.. a stylist will consult with you to find out your desired color, and the exact formula needed to get you there.. (she can also go through and leave a few stray highlights if you wanted). If you pick a color you don't know what you need to conteract the red.. so you could end up with even REDDER hair.. or a mess.. so definitely seek a stylist.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• (yes perms can alter the color of your coloring, typically in box colors)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'd wash it & wait and go to the salon.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010