When did your baby start holding his/her own bottle?

My son is 8 months old & doesn't hold his own bottle. I know this is because he knows that mommy, who he has wrapped around his little finger, will do it for him. I'm starting to see the downsides of this super-spoiling. Yikes... Or is it normal for him not to be holding his bottle at this point?

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 6:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 7 months. She is a little behind on everything though. My son started at around 4-5m.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 6:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My girls are almost 6 months and can hold their own bottles...but they don't always want to...I'm a spoiler too!
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 6:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• josh started taking his bottles away frm me. literally taking them out of myhands and putting them right to his mouth. that was at around 4 months. now he will hold them but he gets side tracked trying to look around while hes eating so it falls out sometimes.
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 6:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• MY baby is almost 9 months old and she wont hold her bottle??? I guess I am in the same boat :(
    kaleigh111

Answer by kaleigh111 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My oldest was 9 months, my middle was about 7 months and my youngest was BF but had bottles at daycare during the day and NEVER held his own until he switched to a sippy with a straw at 10 months. Also its actually recommended you always hold them to give them bottles, but I know its hard when they are mobile, just make sure never to prop it, thats dangerous.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my son is 10 months old and he just started to hold his own bottle.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Mine was 6 months but he had his lazy spoiled times even up to a year. lol They DO know you will do it for them so id just start letting go and if he's hungry he will hold it!
    MrsSuperDave

Answer by MrsSuperDave at 7:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• All three of my kids were about 5 months old. I would just prop them up a little bit in the boppy and put their hands on the bottle. They figured it out pretty quick. To transition, I would put their hands on the bottle while I fed them.
    jenni8269

Answer by jenni8269 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My daughter was 6 months when she held it on her own ...she's 15 months now and I still love holding her while she drinks from her cup!! I think the easiest way to get them to hold it is to put them in the high chair ...I found it harder trying to get her to do it when I was holding her bc then I would just end up doing it ...once they get it down they you can go back to holding them if you want!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 5:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my son is 4 1/2 months and started holding his bottle at 4 months
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009