how do you tell your family that you want to get married without them freaking out?

i have been with the man i love for over a year now, we live together and we want to get married. we are so right for each other but since my younger sister told my family alot of lies about him now they think i should no be with him. i love him to death and would pretty much just marry him but i want my family there at the wedding. so when would a good time to marry if they come around?

heavenlove83

Asked by heavenlove83 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• When ever you are ready. You are an adult yes? All you can really do is sit them down and tell them basically what you just wrote here. Tell them you want them to be there. They are also adults however and you can't force them to do something they are not comfortable with.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think you need to clear the air with your family. The family drama and dislike for your SO will really cause a strain on your marriage and marriage is HARD WORK....the reason marriages fail, is because we have all gotten so lazy that it is easier to "quit" then it is to work at it everyday.

I wish you a lifetime of happiness and I think that happiness will be your if you sit down with your family and let them know how hurt you are that they do not see him the way you see him
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yes i am a adult and i live 4 and a half hours away from my dad and my mom lives in oklahoma. i try to call and talk with my dad and my sister always make my dad pissed off and he leaves before i have a chance to talk with him. my sister dont like him cuz he wants to be with me. my sister thinks that she has to be the one that is with someone well with any guy she wants.
    heavenlove83

Comment by heavenlove83 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Wow thats hard... how long has it been since you sister told the lies? Its good to let some time pass. Just get engaged first and then plan the wedding so they have time to get used to the idea, and time for your man to prove himself to them again. Or you could have some kind of meeting with you all and get everything out on the table and give him a chance to explain and ask for your hand in marriage.
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 11:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Invite everyone over at once and give the news thing, they might be so shocked and then keep a lid on it due to so many people there.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2010