Advice from mom's who have had a C-section while having a toddler at home?

I'm up for a c-section soon and my son is just shy of 2. I don't have a lot of support where I live and I'm wondering how to handle my toddler and newborn after recovering from surgery. My husband will most likely have to go back to work the day i get home from the hospital. I'm hoping my mom can come take my toddler while I'm in the hospital and my dad will most likely be able to come for a few days, but after a week, I will be on my own. My work doesn't offer short-term disability so I can't affored daycare and my husband makes too much (I think) for any type of assistance. Has anyone been in this situation?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Travel

• I had a toddler at home and had a C/S. i was fine, with no help. I drove after 1 week. I was totally fine.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:29 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't have any help for you but I did bump you in the hopes that someone can help you.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• With your pregnancies being so close your recovery may be difficult. If you had a C-section the first time it will most likely be worse. The World Health Org. recommends waiting 3 years before ttc with a normal vaginal birth, longer after a C-section. Two C-sections less than 2 years apart may be all the pregnancies that are safe to have. Knowing this may be your last baby you may want to do things like go ahead and have your husband take extra time off work.

I was sick when my 3rd child was born and my husband left. I had a 5 yo and 8 yo. I had pneumonia, septicemia, and then cancer. I had a college girl come over at lunch time and she helped with lunch, laundry, the kids, cleaned the house, and made dinner. She came about 4 hours a day.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have no advice for you, but I bumped this up to try to get you further help. Good luck mama!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My kids are 10 months apart! I had NO ONE when I came home to help me. (My second pregnancy was a C-section). I just did it all, caring for my son, lifting, him etc AS NEEDED. I did end up getting a double infection on my stitches because I was lifting my 10 month old son. The first infection the doctor didn't say anything, just gave me some medicine. The 2nd infection he wanted to know what I was doing and asked if I was lifting my son. I told him YES and he told me to tell him that mommy can't lift him. I asked the Dr. How do you tell that to to a 10 MONTH OLD!!! The doctor then apologized to me and gave me more meds!! The only advice I have is do what NEEDS to be done, the rest will work itself out. And as much as possible do NOT be lifting your toddler. From one mommy that's been there sometimes you just have too, but do try to avoid lifting the toddler as much as possible!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I had a 2 1/2 year old when I had a c-section. We just played low-key games. And that's when I introduced my daughter to the computer. I would sit her on my lap and go to Sesamestreet.com, etc. She got great at it and was able to do it herself before long. You'll be up and out before you know it. 2 weeks and I was able to do everything.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010