Did you eat deli/sandwich meat while pregnant?

They advise against it for e.coli reasons I believe but doctors advise no deli (sandwich) meats or hot dogs. Did you eat these things?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 10:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It's not e. coli, it's listeria, one of the few food toxins that can cross the placenta. I did, but I was careful to heat it it 165 for ten seconds, as per doctor's instructions.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yep, occasionally I would heat the meat up first but not always. I had a chili cheese dog once a month as well, lol.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I ate what I wanted just not a ton of it. I think they mean not to eat it on a daily basis. Like Tuna, or anything like that, eat in moderation..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yes i did. I was told as long as I microwaved the meat for about 15 seconds I can eat as much as i desired.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Nope I didn't feel like it was worth the risk, even though the risk is very low.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yes i did... that is weird i have never heard of a doctor telling anyone that. just gotta be careful of what you eat.. check out where it comes from. be picky. like walmart meat is a HUGE turn off for me. it is to cheap i worry bout where it comes from
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 10:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yes I still ate deli meat. It's ok if you heat it to steaming hot or if it's straight out of the fridge.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yes , its pastuerized.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• They're fine to eat as long as they're heated first. I don't usually eat deli meat or hot dogs, but occasionally when we'd go to Subway or somewhere, I'd just have them toast my sandwich, which I like anyway.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yes
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 10:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010