What should I do? A bit frustrated.

My neighbor usually stays up till 4 in the morning (for leisure). Then he sleeps in 'till noon or so (but not everyday, only sometimes). I have three kids and they love playing in our front yard. They're ages 9, 7, and 3. Our front yard is only 2 feet away from our neighbors yard, but my children are good at staying on our side. However, when they're outside, they like to use their outside voices. My neighbor then comes out of his house and complains that my children are being too loud because they woke him up, and it's 1 in the afternoon. He says that my kids are playing right outside his window. And while it may sound like that, I keep an eye on my kids and I know they stay in our yard. And therefor could not be playing "right outside" his window. I understand its frustrating getting woken up, however, my children should be allowed to use their "outside" voice outside in the middle of the day without reprimand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• 100%!!! tell him there is nothing you can do about it. children need to playoutside, use some earplugs!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Be as loud as you want. It's the middle of the day. Now if it was 4AM then that's a different story. Tell him to wear eye plugs if you doesn't want to be woken up.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• not eye plus ear plugs
    mommy_of_two388

• Your neighbor is just going to have to learn to deal with the noise since it isn't a violation for your children to be playing in their own yard during the day. Children need to be outside & there is no reason why they can't play & be noisy during the day. If he doesn't like the noise, he can either move or take steps to soundproof, like putting up insulated drapes, covering his windows with foam or something to block sounds, or using earplugs. It really is not your problem that the guy likes to stay up all night & keeps irregular hours and you shouldn't let him make it your problem, because it is most definately his. Also, depending on how far you are wanting to take the issue, you could actually get him for harassment if he continuously berates you or the children about the noise.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Dear Neighbor:
    We differe in schedules and differ in lifestyles. Meaning that sometimes our choices may clash with one another. If you choose your lifestyle then you need to take the consequences that follow. Meaning neighborhood children playing in THEIR yard in the middle of the afternoon. If that is something that bothers you, then you need to either adjust your lifestyle or adjust the manner in which you carry out your lifestyle. Meaning, close the windows or get ear plugs. In no way am I going to restrict my children from playing outside to accomidate a lifestyle that isn't carried out by my family. With that, if you want to continue living your lifestyle that you need to figure out ways to live it without expecting others to change for you. - Love, your neighbor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Do you have a backyard? I there anyway that you can work something out with him. You said it isn't everyday so why don't you make a deal with him. I understand it's 1 pm but his sleep does still have to be respected. If they are THAT load that they are waking him up maybe they are that close to his house. If his window is very close to where they are playing I'm sorry it IS rude. I grew up in a trailer park my neighbors were like 50 feet from my house. My mom slept late as my brother and I got older. Yeah till noon or so, the neighbors had kids and their yard was right next to my moms' window. They knew my mom was a late sleeper so they either kept the kids inside until 2 or so or they made sure they were quite. That is just what happens when you live close to your neighbors. Have your children be respectful.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would tell him to get some earplugs.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• ear plug kids well be kids and you are in you yard so he need to deal with it..
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 11:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's not your fault that he chooses sleeping in the daytime. Kids will be kids. As long as they are in your yard, there is nothing he can do about it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010