Did you have a sister or brother with

a disability ? My brother was born with 1 bad eye & had 3 surgeries by age 3. I was always his eyes after Dr. appts. but I never looked at him as disabled. Now as an adult he has a rock hit him in his good eye, making it a fake eye, so now he is legally blind. It was hurtful when I'd see other kids make fun of him fornot seeing good. I never made fun of kids with any kind of disability, maybe bec. of my brother, maybe because I was always afraid GOD would give me a child with a disability. I think those of us that are healthy need to be sure our children, esp. teens, don't make fun of others with disabilities. I'm not saying all kids do this, but I have seen many, and it does hurt.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Health

• My sons best buddy's Mom is deaf. I think it's amazing how the little boy (6) has learned to communicate and then teach our 6 yr old son how to as well... He has taught me a few things, and doesn't see it as a disability. He did ask me why she can't hear and I told him that she was born that way, just he was born with blonde hair, it's just how things are, and he's okay with that.... I agree with you. We don't use the word disabled, we just see them as people just like we are, and that's the way it should be...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Both of my daughters are severly deaf in their left ears. I don't consider them disabled. I'm not sure what I consider them, honestly. It's just who they are. We do sign language but they are verbal as well.

My oldest is the one who gets to me. I guess she doesn't really understand yet that this is something permanent as she made the comment to me the other day "Mom, you need to take me back to my hearing dr." Me "Why?" Her "Because my ear is still broken." I almost broke down but I have to treat this as normal as possible because I don't want her feeling any different because she's not.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My brother is mentally disabled. I think it's cruel when kids tease one another for disabilities. Most of the time the kids learn it from their parents.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My sister is deaf and can't talk. She is the sweetest and kindest person I know!! My kids know not to make fun of others with a disability.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My uncle who was 5 years older than me had cerebral palsy, quite severly. I work with kids with special needs, so I am very aware of these issues. My kids know the kids I work with and are very accepting of all kinds of differences. My hubby also works finding people with disabilities (physical, intellectual, mental illnesses) find employment, so as a family we're pretty accepting and aware.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Kids can be cruel. Even though it's not right, there is not much you can do about it. It doesn't excuse what they did. Just remember to tell your brother how much you love him and you'll be there when he needs you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My younger brother (adopted) has a mental disability brought on by abuse from his birth parents. I understand how you feel, it's really hard to see someone you care about treated badly.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My adopted brother has a learning disability and a speech delay. All thanks to his Bio mom's drug use while pregnant.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010