Joining Air Force

Does anyone know if you can join the Air Force if you have asthma? My husband hasn't had or needed an inhaler in the past 3 years that we've been married, but in highschool when he played soccer he needed one.

Also, I keep hearing about a dependent cap? How many dependents is someone joining the air force allowed to have? Does that include the wife or just the kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can't be in any branch of the military if you have had asthma. You can't lie.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I just asked my hubby, who is in the Army, and he says asthma should be ok but since your hubby hasn't needed an inhaler in 3 years he would just not say anything about it. As for dependent caps, I don't believe there is any such thing, there are people in our command now that have 8 kids. Seriously. And yes, the wife is a dependent, too.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Not sure about the asthma thing but as far as the dependents here they are by branch-

Navy: The Navy requires a waiver for any applicant with more than one dependent (including the spouse).

Marine Corps: In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18.

Air Force: The Air Force will do a financial eligibility determination if the member has any dependents at all.

Army: The Army requires a waiver if the applicant has two or more dependents (in addition to the spouse).

Coast Guard: The Coast Guard requires a waiver if there is more than one dependent (other than spouse), unless the applicant is enlisting in the grade of E-4 or above, when the limit is two dependents (other than spouse).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010