6 month old and Nick Jr.

My son is 6 months old and he LOVES and I mean LOVES the cartoons on Nick Jr. Particularly the Backyardigans and Wonder Pets hahahaha

So I understand that I am not "supposed" to allow him to watch "too many" cartoons.

Okay so what is an example of "too much" cartoons?? He just looks forward to watching them and he loooooves it. He wont stop giggling and smiling when they come on. I feel so torn because I love making him smile with such a simple thing, but I have heard that its bad to let them watch too much televsion.

Anyway, thanks for the tips! Oh, and please... don't bash its JUST CARTOONS ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• okay at that age tv isn't good. That being said, my 7 month old loves Phinnes and Ferb on Disney because his older brother watches it. I would limit it to either 30 minutes or at most 1 hour (that's one episode of each).
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've never bought in to the "to many" cartoons. If you are able to put him down and get things done, go for it and enjoy it. I'm not saying leave the TV to baby sit for 12 hours a day, but there is nothing wrong with leaving him watch TV so you can do laundry, dishes or other cleaning...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My kids loved Dora & other Nick Jr. cartoons when they were little & came out just fine, I think society puts too much pressure on parents about what they SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be doing with their kids
    lovelily79

Answer by lovelily79 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I always had the tv on for noise. My oldest would watch sometimes but mostly play and listen. But when brother was born he would watch abt your son's age, as he grew he also played with sister and listen-today he is a 9yr gilfted. Never really turned off the TV unless homework time once they got into school. My youngest is 6yrs old-did the same with her. Again only time tv is off is for homework -that includes summer work I had them due once they got into K. My 12yr is Pincipals list (straight A's) 9yr gifted honor roll-6yr is above avg with school.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 10:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My son fell in love with Gabba when he was 4 months old and it has been on constantly since then lol. I dont think anything is going to happen to him, its just on in the background, he runs around and plays and he will stop and dance to a fav song or whatever, I dont sweat it, hey there teaching him not to bite lol
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i would let him or her to watch a little while your doing a little cleanin but not more than 30 minutes so your child wont be upsets with cartoons or any other type of watching tv form
    heavenlove83

Answer by heavenlove83 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My 4 month old little girl loves the wonder pets!!! First thing that ever made her laugh out loud!! lol. that being said if it makes her happy im happy. May not be the best thing in the world but i still do it. And I also dont just prop her up in front of the tv and leave her either. I sit there and interact with her and we watch it together.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• When I needed to clean I let my dd watch an episode or 2 a day. I think hubby has the tv on alot while I am at work though. My kids don't really sit and watch though. I think as long as you are sitting him in front of the tv all day it isn't a big deal.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2010