Help with formula fed newborn!

My daughter is 2 weeks old and was on Enfamil milk based formula until I noticed she was really gassy and having a hard time pooping. We switched her to Enfamil Gentlease which is for fussy and gassy babies about 4 days ago and still she is really gassy and having really hard poops where she cries in pain when she has gas or has to poop. I talked to the doctor and he just told me to get gas drops, so I did, and yet she is still gassy. I burp her every ounce she eats as well. Idk what to do. Any suggestions or a better formula out there I could use???

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried adding Kairo syrup to the bottles? It is mainly to help constipation and harder bowel movements, but with my kids it did help with their gas. I know this doesn't help with formula brand, but it might help finish off the can you have.
    CherryAddict

Answer by CherryAddict at 10:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Wow, dont you looove doctors? If the gentlese didn't help and the gas drops didn't help then try soy! Its the only other thing I can think of that could be bothering her little tum tum. With my little guy He got better with the gentlese and the gas drops. I hope I helped :)
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 10:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• OOh also Gripe water maybe? Dunno if you can use it on kids that young tho. Check it out!
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 10:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't want to use soy because with my first daughter it made her constipated and so colicy.
    hornz102485

Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You don't want to change her formula too often, it's tough on her system. When you changed, did you do half of one and half of the other? I went through that with my dd, and she was just a gassy baby. Even when I nursed her she had that problem. Lay her on her stomach and rub her back. Also when she's on her back, move her legs to help get the gas out. Milicon drops work well, but if the gas is too bad and she's constipated, it won't work. Give the new formula time to work and her digestive system time to adjust to it. I know how awful it feels to see your baby in pain and feeling helpless, but you both will get through this. Good luck mama! Congrats on your little beauty btw! :-)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• First of all, I am sooo sorry you are going through this... I know it can be SO frustrating... my son was super gassy when he was a newborn up until he was about 2 months old. He was breastfed!! The good news is that it gets better! I breastfed my son until he was 5 months. We switched to the Enfamil Gentlease and then to Premium. Your baby is gassy because of the formula. Thats the bottom line. Unfortunately there isnt anything that you can do :( Babies get very gassy with formula because their digestive system can't digest the proteins.

You can give her gas drops, and move her little legs to ease the discomfort in her belly. Try changing the bottles. You can also put her to sleep on her tummy. I didn't know what to do with my son, and as soon as I put him on his tummy it solved all the problems. He slept through the night and felt immediate relief. He was 6 weeks old when I put him on his tummy to sleep.
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 10:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well if you're not willing to use soy. Then maybe try a different forumla that's milk based.
    Your second child may not be like your first though. It may help your second child, so it could be worth a try to use Soy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• if she is only 2 weeks old, you could relactate...if you can.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The emfamil always made my girl gassy and constipated. We switched to Goodstart and after a day or two she was fine. i ended up giving away the emfamil. To help her poop, lay her on her bnck and move her legs like she's riding a bike. It helps get it moving. Good luck.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my little boy was the same exact way!! i did the whole gas drop thing and it didnt do a thing so we switched his formula and its called parents choice added rice starch (its for babies that spit up frequently) but for some reason it helped him because the formula was thicker and he poops fine and isnt fussy anymore
    xsbnix

Answer by xsbnix at 11:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010